How do you rate Casio keyboards?

Reaction score
How do you rate Casio keyboards? For some reason I don't see much about them.

Reaction score
If you're a 10year-old, I'd rate them 5 out of 10. if you're older...
Stay away

That was the impression I had over the years, but I'm wondering why. They seem to have the same features/prices as the comparable Yamaha ones.

Or do they just break sooner?

Reaction score
That was the impression I had over the years, but I'm wondering why. They seem to have the same features/prices as the comparable Yamaha ones.

Or do they just break sooner?

Yamaha has better build quality, and way better sound samples, more poliphony, wider price range etc etc...

And even yamaha keyboards have "plasticky" keys (PSR series), they are still better than Casio

Reaction score
Yamaha has better build quality, and way better sound samples, more poliphony, wider price range etc etc...

And even yamaha keyboards have "plasticky" keys (PSR series), they are still better than Casio

I don't play piano so I don't know whether I would need keys that are just like a piano or whether fake ones would do.

The PSRs have sooo many sounds. Most of which I wouldn't use. I can't find if they have "pad sounds" (the synth tones). If not, I wonder if I could build them myself just by playing & looping very long sustained chords.

I played the PSR in the store, but still, for a newbie, it's hard to evaluate how well the features would work and which ones I'd need.

Reaction score
I don't play piano so I don't know whether I would need keys that are just like a piano or whether fake ones would do.

The PSRs have sooo many sounds. Most of which I wouldn't use. I can't find if they have "pad sounds" (the synth tones). If not, I wonder if I could build them myself just by playing & looping very long sustained chords.

I played the PSR in the store, but still, for a newbie, it's hard to evaluate how well the features would work and which ones I'd need.

you CAN'T create your own sounds on PSR series... You can edit them A BIT... but that's all...

If you want to edit sounds you'll need a workstation... but that's not a newbie any more ;)

Reaction score
you CAN'T create your own sounds on PSR series... You can edit them A BIT... but that's all...

If you want to edit sounds you'll need a workstation... but that's not a newbie any more ;)

It's me with another dumb yamaha question. I printed out the specs for the Yamaha Psr E400 and YPG 225 keyboards. It says that they are "General MIDI (GM) & XGlite compatible." I wonder what this means. What exactly is 'Midi-compatible'?

Reaction score
Hello Laura,

Midi is a universal system by which data is exchanged from one device to another to control sounds,sequence data & other functions amongst any midi-based unit such as keyboards,hardware sequencers,effects processors,computers, etc.,.

If you have a vested interest in music & keyboards & plan to evolve into a full blown musician down the road,I would suggest buying an entry level professional keyboard that will accomdate your progress for years to come.
Keyboards such as the Yamaha MM6,Roland Juno D,Roland GW-7 & perhaps even the Korg TR-61 to start with,would be a fantastic starting point to build on.
These keyboards I've mentioned will provide you with several sounds,editing capablities,expandablity,the ability to record complete songs & such,& are not priced that much more than what you are currently looking at-when you consider what you get for the money.

The prices range from $500 to $1,000 & they should keep you occupied for a very long time.

Casios have come a long way in the last 10 years,as thier sounds have improved dramatically & the Casio WK-3500 is a good example of this,but it is $400 and if you step up to a professional line of keyboards-it's really not that much more.
Also,if you choose to go with a professional music store like SamAsh or GuitarCenter-whatever you decide to buy,it will be cheaper at these places,as supposed to a place like say,Wal-Mart or Target.

Hope this info helps you out.

Elwood

Reaction score
The Clavia Nord Lead 2x

Hello again,

I just read your introduction to the forum-which was very informative,so I now know who I am dealing with much more clearly.:D

Since you are a seasoned musician & after having read your backround,I think it would be really absurd for you to even consider buying any keyboard that is under a thousand.

Since you are familiar with computers and pro music stores,and since you want to do spacey,trance-type music-then by all means,you must consider the Clavia Nord Lead 2X!!!
SamAsh does not have them on display,but you can go to www.clavia.se and you can at least get an idea of what this amazing synth sounds like.

I have the Korg Triton Extreme which I adore,but the Nord Lead 2X has some amazing features & capabilities that no other keyboard has for a grand-it's major gear-lust for me & the nord Lead 2X WILL be my next keyboard.
Based on what I have read about you thus far,I think the Nord Lead 2X would be perfect for you.
Again,I strongly recommend that you contact Sweetwater.com,as they will give you all the info you would need about this board.

Elwood

Reaction score
The thing that annoys me about yamaha is the Auto chord function on one of the ones I played would only play majors, I think casio's have a smoother sound than Yamahas. Of course, I've only just started playing, And all the ones i've played are ones in school and stuff - Not "proper" keyboards.

I also bought a dead old one, That had an graphic equalizer (which you could switch to do just the lower keys) as well as a switch for adding echo or sustain -both of which were extremely useful, the casio I have just now is slightly newer and has neither, I especially miss being able to turn sustain on or off.

Reaction score
Someone's boosting their postcount... Ever heard of that nice little "edit" button, so you can fix typos without having to post another reply? :p

Reaction score
Certainly a lot of casio gear is pretty useless, but there are a few worth considering if you're in that price bracket.

IMO, the "not useless" category consists of:

CTK-631: Yes, it looks like a toy, but given its age, the sounds are remarkably good. It even has a basic edit function for creating your own sounds. Its main advantage over the 601/611 are that it has a proper pitch bend wheel instead of stupid buttons, but all lack a mod wheel. You can generally pick one up pretty cheaply.

WK-3500: Casio have done a pretty good job with this one. Good sound library (I still prefer the 631's strings), good range of DSP effects, and I can't think of another keyboard in that price bracket with such a good (if any) drawbar function. Although it lacks a function to create your own sounds (beyond DSP) if you download the supporting software you can add your own samples and split the keyboard into 16 sections, each with different sounds. Don't buy the others in the family - the CTK 691 is only 61 keys compared to 76 and has no mod or bend. The WK-3000/3100 also lack a mod wheel, replacing it with a button.

I can't really comment much on the action, as most keyboards like this feel similar, and if I wanted realistic action, I'd be prepared to pay extra for a stage piano that at least tries to do it properly.

Reaction score
hmm seriously learn to use the edit button..

Casio keyboards..The one i played at the store I will rate 8 out of 10

Reaction score
As soon as I discovered how to work the edit button there was no stopping me filling my user bank with "WeirdPad7" and "Crzy_Ld16" The casio editting is surprisingly intuitive.

Reaction score
it all depends on what sounds you are looking for.

i am more of a guitar player, though i do understand the keyboard layout and music theory.

that said, i am also a TONE FREAK! i like the sounds of the early 80s casio keyboards. i am starting to collect them, and i am learning to circuit bend.

the patch matrix on the sk1 is amazing, and there are hundreds of combinations of tones!

also, the smaller casio models. pt1, pk1, sa2, and so on are all modifiable. new controls like pitch bend, power crash, etc can be easily added.

these "circuit bent" tones resemble the analog tones of some of the 70s synths! the internal cpu of these old casios can be slowed down via added potentiometer, making them pitch bendable and glitchy! also, the trim pot used for tuning on the bottom of the keyboard can be changed to a regular potentiometer.

so many possibilities!!!

Ask a Question