How does the computer control multiple MIDI DIN and USB MIDI devices

Reaction score
I want to control multiple MIDI DIN devices through a computer, and control multiple USB MIDI devices at the same time. This USB3.1 MIDI hub from DOREMiDi looks good, has anyone used it?
DSC_3139.JPG

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You might not be able to connect certain USB-MIDI keyboards to a USB hub, because the manuals of some keyboards stipulate that they can't be connected to a USB hub; they need to be connected directly to a USB host. Check the manuals of any USB-MIDI keyboards you happen to have to see if they say anything related to USB hubs.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I want to control multiple MIDI DIN devices through a computer, and control multiple USB MIDI devices at the same time. This USB3.1 MIDI hub from DOREMiDi looks good, has anyone used it?
View attachment 2380

It looks quite lovely and VERRY pricey.

I do well enough with a MIDISport 4x4 and altogether have about 9 or 10 keyboards MIDIed up to my home studio computer.

In practice the only real need for the 4x4 are for certain synths with proprietary USB drivers which almost NEVER work on Linux.

Otherwise, my solution was to add and 4 more USB 3.0 ports to my Linux desktop computer.

The MIDISport is discontinued but Amazon sells a cheap knockoff that is also TOTALLY Linux compliant. I can state from experience that MOTU MIDI Interfaces absolutely DO NOT SUPPORT open source.

BTW, if you DO need 8x8 MIDI ports (God knows why) Then just buy one of each until you have enough ports.

Avoiding buying two identical units because the device manager will continue to be confused by which device is which.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
You might not be able to connect certain USB-MIDI keyboards to a USB hub, because the manuals of some keyboards stipulate that they can't be connected to a USB hub; they need to be connected directly to a USB host. Check the manuals of any USB-MIDI keyboards you happen to have to see if they say anything related to USB hubs.

I do well enough with a MIDISport 4x4 and altogether have about 9 or 10 keyboards MIDIed up to my home studio computer.

In practice the only real need for the 4x4 are for certain synths with proprietary USB drivers which almost NEVER work on Linux.

Otherwise, my solution was to add and 4 more USB 3.0 ports to my Linux desktop computer.

The MIDISport is discontinued but Amazon sells a cheap knockoff that is also TOTALLY Linux compliant. I can state from experience that MOTU MIDI Interfaces absolutely DO NOT SUPPORT open source.

BTW, if you DO need 8x8 MIDI ports (God knows why) Then just buy one of each until you have enough ports.

Avoiding buying two identical units because the device manager will continue to be confused by which device is which.

Gary ;)
Thank you for your suggestion, this is a very good forum, the response is fast, and it helps me a lot!

My MIDI device has a USB interface and a MIDI DIN interface, so I need a hub with USB HOST and MIDI DIN interfaces. This one product meets all my needs.
I have contacted the manufacturer to purchase one, and I believe it should be available soon.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Yo DO realize that if your device has a USB port you don't require any DIN interface at all do you?

Only one connection to a computer needs to be made, either DIN MIDI or USB.

If you have only one device then that DOREMIDI is massive overkill.

Gary ;)

Reaction score

Whlie few people may need 8x8, I can pretty easily see where someone may need more than 4... and as soon as you need more than 4, I guess the next model up is 8. ;-) But in terms of being pricey, the 8x8 is not all that much more than buying a pair of 4x4, and would be neater and use one less USB port. But also, this 8x8 isn't really the same as apair of the 4x4's you linked to... all those 4x4's are 5-pin DIN MIDI, so a pair of them would give you 8x8 5-pin DIN MIDI. This box gives you 6x6 5-pin DIN MIDI plus two USB inputs, so it's not exactly the same thing. I guess the value of having the USB in the same unit is to possibly avoid having to add a USB hub (or a bigger one than what you have, or a second one). If this box happens to support as many 5-pin and USB MIDI devices as you need, it could be a nicer solution than an octopus of other devices dangling off your computer.

I was surprised to hear you had 9-10 MIDI keyboards connected to your 4x4 until I saw your diagram and realized you were only using the 4x4 for 4 of your 9-10 devices. I was thinking you must have been using a lot of MIDI Thru!

Reaction score
My MIDI device has a USB interface and a MIDI DIN interface, so I need a hub with USB HOST and MIDI DIN interfaces. This one product meets all my needs.
What MIDI device do you have? I suspect it has a USB connection (not a USB interface) and 5-pin DIN MIDI In and Out connections, and as Gary said, "only one connection to a computer needs to be made, either DIN MIDI or USB." So if you're just looking to connect this one device to your computer, again as Gary said, "that DOREMIDI is massive overkill." You probably need nothing more than a simple USB "printer cable."

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I was surprised to hear you had 9-10 MIDI keyboards connected to your 4x4 until I saw your diagram and realized you were only using the 4x4 for 4 of your 9-10 devices. I was thinking you must have been using a lot of MIDI Thru!

I qualified my statement by saying in practice I only need DIN MIDI for the oddball synths that refuse to speak USB MIDI CLASS COMPLIANT to my Linux box. ;)

And from what I saw in the photo that whizbang "superbox" still needs to talk to a computer to handle the routing anyway.

There are all sorts of 8 port hubs and mergers out there, but it really does depend on need vs budget vs musical objectives.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question