How is Novation Launchkey SL49 MkIII for Beginners??

Reaction score
Hi, All… As the title says, I’m looking at purchasing the SL49 MkIII. Aside from messing around with GarageBand, I have no experience with DAWs. I’ve played piano sporadically since I was a kid, but never very consistently. When I do sit down and play regularly, I’m “ok” (mayyybe). I’ve always wanted to make music thru a computer & MIDI hardware, but always felt it would be a lil’ overwhelming. Anyway, I started playing more, and now want to dive in on this end. I guess my main question is, “Is this a keyboard that I can grow into with the least/lesser pain, or will I be boxing it back up??”. I have pretty realistic expectations. I know that if it’s worth it, it takes time. That’s a given, and I’m ok with that. And as long as the price justifies the quality of product and satisfaction of use, I’m good. So am I going to be banging my head, or bangin out music?? Thank-you, folks. I appreciate your feedback.
Max

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Good plan.

Go to youtube and watch a whole bunch of videos about DAWs, home recording, VSTs and check out reviews and tutorials for the gear and software you are interested in. Absolutely the quickest and easiest way to speed up the learning curve on music technology today.

It will help you to formulate and ask specific questions once you have grounded yourself in the terminology.

In the meantime, I suggest you download and read the user manual of any keyboard you are trying to buy.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Welcome.

Sounds like a good plan.

Pre covid I used to like to faff around in my local and not so local music stores.

In the nearest one to me they had plenty of MIDI keyboard controllers on display where they varied from cheapish and nasty to OMG that is expensive.

There was sections specific to Novation, M-Audio, Native Instruments and Akai plus there were other units amongst the Roland and Korg kit.

In amongst the Novation they had the Launchkey and the Impulse, and whilst the Launchkey looked pretty well built, knobs/sliders had a good feel and the keybed felt OK but the Impulse was in a different league so you may wish to consider that as well if the budget allows.

Out of interest, do you have a keyboard at present?

If you do and it has a USB Host terminal you can connect it up to a computer and use that as a controller until you are ready to buy a dedicated keyboard controller.

Reaction score
Good plan.

Go to youtube and watch a whole bunch of videos about DAWs, home recording, VSTs and check out reviews and tutorials for the gear and software you are interested in. Absolutely the quickest and easiest way to speed up the learning curve on music technology today.

It will help you to formulate and ask specific questions once you have grounded yourself in the terminology.

In the meantime, I suggest you download and read the user manual of any keyboard you are trying to buy.

Gary ;)
Thank-you, Gary. I've started doing just that; been exploring the DAWs I've been curious about, and taking notes. That's how I landed on the SL49 MkIII. I initially ordered the Akai MPK225. It was just too small for my liking, and returned it thinking I was just gonna upsize to their MPK49. Thought I "had" to have their pads, and started reading everything. But dude... this Novation kept popping, and well here I am, nice to know ya lol. It comes w/ Ableton Live Lite, and I have GarageBand of course. Any other DAWs that you feel are more friendly to the newcomer? I'm just thankful I know how to play a little, and am not new to music theory. Thanks again, Gary.

Reaction score
Welcome.

Sounds like a good plan.

Pre covid I used to like to faff around in my local and not so local music stores.

In the nearest one to me they had plenty of MIDI keyboard controllers on display where they varied from cheapish and nasty to OMG that is expensive.

There was sections specific to Novation, M-Audio, Native Instruments and Akai plus there were other units amongst the Roland and Korg kit.

In amongst the Novation they had the Launchkey and the Impulse, and whilst the Launchkey looked pretty well built, knobs/sliders had a good feel and the keybed felt OK but the Impulse was in a different league so you may wish to consider that as well if the budget allows.

Out of interest, do you have a keyboard at present?

If you do and it has a USB Host terminal you can connect it up to a computer and use that as a controller until you are ready to buy a dedicated keyboard controller.
Biggles!... thank-ya, brother. Yes, I have a full size keyboard that is MIDI compatible. As I mentioned to Gary, this kinda all started because I've been using it more. I also just replaced a dinosaur of a laptop, and that's when I started looking at DAWs. I'll check out the Impulse, but that SL Mk3 is kinda pushin it for me. Appreciate the feedback, B.

Reaction score
Ok, so I was up late doing the homework that we all do, and pulled the trigger on the SL MkIII. Lotttta horse for me (for now), but I’d rather do it this way (than want/need to upgrade shortly after purchasing a lesser model). I hope the learning curve is (somewhat) kind, but I’m pretty realistic. Lotta fun, unlimited creativity, fair amount of frustration, and lots of curiosity and excitement. Story of my life ha.

Reaction score
Bear in mind that Novation controllers are really optimised for Ableton Live, although they will work with most DAWs. If you're into that kind of stuff, it's apparently a match made in heaven.
It'll work with Logic or Cubase, of course, but you'll get a 'lesser' experience...

Ask a Question