How much iBook to run pianoteq and such

Reaction score
I can't see me using my 15" laptop for this if I do it at all ( I do want the sound but I want more sounds too !). Will the lower gig hz iBooks handle the detail ( 1.33 hz). I see where some people use them and iPads but not sure how or what one it might take. You can get an iBook from Amazon for not much over $100.

Reaction score
David

If you are talking about the Apple "iBook" proper, they were "entry level" devices that were discontinued in 2006. Even if you were to find a new one "in the box", I am afraid it would be a little too antiquated and would lack the processing power to handle today's music programs, particularly VST software like Pianoteq. If you are talking about small laptop type computers known generically as "netbooks", then that opens up an entirely different field. They come in a variety of configurations, all the way from a couple of hundred dollars to several hundred dollars, depending on processing power and features. Per Pianoteq's website, it will currently run on Mac OS X 10.5 or later, Windows XP/Vista/7/8, and Linux x86. It appears that they do not currently have a version that will run on the iOS of the iPad. If you are looking at the smaller units strictly for the convenience of size, that is one thing, but if you are doing that from the standpoint of lower cost, then you are most likely headed down the wrong path. Modern VST music programs like Pianoteq are some of the most taxing software that you can run on today's computer hardware. It is probably second only to high speed gaming programs, if even then. This is one case where "you get what you pay for" certainly applies. The Pianoteq website offers a trial download of their product, but since you are at the stage of selecting the hardware, it would probably be best to call them and ask them for recommendations, keeping in mind that meeting only the bare minimum hardware requirements for any given piece of software will most assuredly lead to disappointment.

Good luck !

Reaction score
David

If you are talking about the Apple "iBook" proper, they were "entry level" devices that were discontinued in 2006. Even if you were to find a new one "in the box", I am afraid it would be a little too antiquated and would lack the processing power to handle today's music programs, particularly VST software like Pianoteq. If you are talking about small laptop type computers known generically as "netbooks", then that opens up an entirely different field. They come in a variety of configurations, all the way from a couple of hundred dollars to several hundred dollars, depending on processing power and features. Per Pianoteq's website, it will currently run on Mac OS X 10.5 or later, Windows XP/Vista/7/8, and Linux x86. It appears that they do not currently have a version that will run on the iOS of the iPad. If you are looking at the smaller units strictly for the convenience of size, that is one thing, but if you are doing that from the standpoint of lower cost, then you are most likely headed down the wrong path. Modern VST music programs like Pianoteq are some of the most taxing software that you can run on today's computer hardware. It is probably second only to high speed gaming programs, if even then. This is one case where "you get what you pay for" certainly applies. The Pianoteq website offers a trial download of their product, but since you are at the stage of selecting the hardware, it would probably be best to call them and ask them for recommendations, keeping in mind that meeting only the bare minimum hardware requirements for any given piece of software will most assuredly lead to disappointment.

Good luck !
Thanks Ted,
I don't really know what I'm doing just yet. I've considered sound modules as well. One thing I am trying to do is get sounds, more and maybe better sounds but not spread out all over the place in every direction. Right now I can sequence two channels and mix 4 from on board sounds of the MP6. I already have a Windows 7 laptop but that's my main laptop I use for everything ( Photo Shop, online you name it). Not sure I want to dedicate that to the keyboard. So maybe a sound module may be a better approach for me, then go from there.
David

Reaction score
I have a first gen Ipad and installed a grand piano app on it. While it sounds (kind of) OK, I can't play but a few notes at the same time. I know it wouldn't run something like Pianoteq (if that was available as an app). I'd say that module such as a Yamaha Motif rack would be a better investment and easier to use in a live (or recording/sequencing) situation. Don

Ask a Question