How to assign foot switch to Korg Pa 1000

Reaction score
I have an older Boss foot switch F5-5U connected to my ”assessable” out on my PA 1000.
I go into global and then controllers - foot. Confused and unsure after that. Can anyone help me out? Thanks

Reaction score
There is no Assessable port on the back. There's an Assignable port and that's the wrong port. Use the 'damper' port. It should be pre-assigned, meaning it should work automatically. There are two kinds of sustain pedals, normally open and normally closed. Using the wrong one can potentially cause the sustain pedal to work backwards, meaning sustain when not pressed and stop sustain when pressed. If the PA1000 can 'sense' which pedal type (open or closed) then it should auto configure for it. Plug in the pedal in first then turn on the keyboard and don't touch anything until the keyboard is fully booted up and ready to play, if it auto adjusts then it should work immediately.

BTW, the assignable port (what you call assessable) is for an expression pedal or volume pedal.

1643230331849.png

Reaction score
As Dave advises, use the damper socket, the assignable is mainly for a expression pedal

Luke Edwards of Korg UK will show you how

One unrelated tip
Press and hold the Shift key and press any button and a Menu will pop up related to the button pressed, its an easy and quick shortcut.

Reaction score
Thanks so much Dave for your help. I appreciate it.
I would like to use the “ assignable “ pedal to increase volume and perhaps for some other purpose. Do you kmow how to do this or have a video link by any chance ? Again thanks

Reaction score
You can see it in the video.

Plug in the pedal into the assignable socket, access the menu as per damper and from the drop down menu where you should see Expression, select Volume then follow onscreen calibration instructions.

Visit the above link to see Korg accessories which are at the bottom of the page

Reaction score
Thanks so much Dave for your help. I appreciate it.
I would like to use the “ assignable “ pedal to increase volume and perhaps for some other purpose. Do you kmow how to do this or have a video link by any chance ? Again thanks
You need to purchase an expression pedal. Examples include: Roland EV5, Yamaha FC7, Boss 500L are examples of these type of pedals (google them).

Expression pedals use electronic measurements to determine movement of the pedal, whether it is fully toe up, fully toe down or somewhere in between. so the assignable port actually produces a 5V(?) charge into the pedal, through its jack, in order to mathematically do the measurement. Like sustain pedals I mentioned above, there are two different pedal types in the market. Roland and most companies use a measurement scheme of Tip to sleeve using what they call a "wiper" to do the measurement. Yamaha and Korg had to be different (for the sake of being different) and use Ring and sleeve to do the wiper measurement. Tip/ring/sleeve are what make up a male TRS jack that you'll see on all expression pedals.

1643298611691.png

So you should purchase an Expression pedal that is compatible with your keyboard manufacturer otherwise the pedal won't provide a linear response from toe up to toe down on the pedal. Because you have a Korg my recommendation would be to purchase a Yamaha FC7 pedal, which I believe is compliant with Korg. Plug it into the assignable jack and it will provide both volume control (in the MIDI world known as CC#7) and also expression control (in the MIDI world also known as CC#11).

what's the difference between CC#7 vs. CC#11 and when would you want to use either one? -> link (note in this article he at one point types CC#1, he meant to type CC#11).

Here is how Kurzweil explains it, an excerpt from their site: " ..Our keyboards require a pedal with a TRS 1/4″ connector and 10k linear potentiometer. Most manufacturers EXCEPT Yamaha and Korg make pedals with the same specifications and should work. Yamaha and Korg pedals typically use an exponential potentiometer and therefore will not work correctly..."

Last edited:
Reaction score

Plug in the pedal into the assignable socket, access the menu as per damper and from the drop down menu where you should see Expression, select Volume then follow onscreen calibration instructions.

Visit the above link to see Korg accessories which are at the bottom of the page

Thanks Biggles. Appreciate the help. I’ll check it out.

Ask a Question