How to connect Super JX-10 to an iPad Air 4

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm looking to get back into using my Roland Super JX-10 and was hoping to get some advice here on what I would need to get things going again.

Here's what I have:

- Roland Super JX-10
- iPad Air 4th Gen

Here's what I was hoping to do:

- Connect my Roland Super JX-10 to my iPad Air 4th Gen and use either Garage Band or other keyboard Apps

Can someone suggest what would be the best setup to achieve this and what cables you would recommend? I see Amazon has a bunch of Midi to USB C cable options, but I would like to get your recommendations.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Welcome.

I assume that the Roland has a USB host socket, the square one which is termed Type B.

An Apple USB C Digital AV Multiport Adaptor has the USB C plug and three sockets, a USB C, an HDMI and a USB A.

You should then be able to plug in a standard USB A to B printer cable into the Roland and into the adaptor then plug the adaptor into your iPad.

Make all connections with all devices off.

This is the important bit.

Only buy a genuine Apple adaptor as typically Apple have made them smart so the iPad will know if you try to get by with a cheap knock off and it will not work, yep £75 is a lot for three sockets and a plug but it is Apple and they screw you anyway they can.

There is a bit of guess work on my part, my iPad has Lightning connectors so it uses a different Adaptor.

Reaction score
I assume that the Roland has a USB host socket, the square one which is termed Type B.
Nope. This model is WAY before USB. You'll need a standard 5-pin DIN to USB interface, the kind that have always been used to connect such devices to USB. The iConnectivity mioXC may be the one to go with because it already comes with both standard USB and USB-C connections, so you shouldn't need any additional adpater at all. (Though you may still want an adapter so you can connect the MIDI interface and the charger at the same time.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses!

@anotherscott, I know you mentioned the iConnectivity mioXC... What are your thoughts on this?

Will this do the same as the iConnectivity mioXC?

Cheers!

Reaction score
I haven't heard of that brand, but I would expect that it would work fine. If there's any issue, at least Amazon returns are easy!

Reaction score
Unfortunately the JX10 midi is from the ice age and has only simple function. You would do yourself a service to get a current small midi controller and use it rather than the JX10. Don aka B3maniac

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the responses. I’m just trying to get back into the game. Let’s see what I can do with what I have. From there I’ll see what other investments I may need to make.

Cheers!

Reaction score
For Garageband, the JX10 should be fine. It doesn't have tons of MIDI capabilities, but neither does GB. ;-) I'm not sure what advantage a newer controller would have.

Reaction score
Hey everyone, unfortunately the cable I had mentioned above didn’t work. I think I’m going to change up my strategy and potentially look to getting a smaller keyboard that plays nice with my iPad Air 4 and GarageBand. I’m going to do a search here to see if this is covered. If not, I’ll start a new thread.
Cheers!

Ask a Question