How to connect two keyboards to two amps with one voume pedal?

est

Reaction score
I am using two different keyboards in a live stage application. One keyboard is a KORG CX-3 for bass and organ tones fed into an SWR Workingman's 15 combo (bass amp.) The other is a KORG x-50 for playing high keys. Overdriven organ sounds, piano, and some synth/pad sounds, and this is fed into a 1960's Fender Twin Reverb amp loaded with EVM 12L Speakers.

Here is my question....

I run each keyboard through some fx pedals for delay and reverb and overdrive. Each one independently. I was using two separate volume pedals, but I need to be able to fade BOTH at the same time. Running two volume pedals is both cumbersome and takes up too much space on the floor.

Has anyone ever used a STEREO VOLUME PEDAL to run the signal from each keyboard in and out to two amps? Does this keep the signals separate? (I am referring to a BOSS FV 500L)

What do you guys do? I also tried to run the two keyboards into a splitter box then into the volume then out to another splitter then to the two amps.... this didn't work because it blended the two keyboards and I had BOTH keyboards coming out of each amp.

Thanks in advance!

Here are two diagrams. One is with my current set up, two volume pedals... the other is what I want to do, one stereo volume.

Attachments

• Sketch85103333#1.png
    Sketch85103333#1.png
    253.6 KB · Views: 765

est

Reaction score
Stereo set up...

Attachments

• Sketch85103333.png
    Sketch85103333.png
    254.5 KB · Views: 707

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I see no reason why your stereo pedal diagram won't work.

Another possibility is to use one Keyboard with a single pedal and then connect the two keyboards via MIDI and send the Volume CC to the other keyboard but that's way more work than your simple solution.

If you can live with mono ouputs from each keyboard then yours is the simplest solution.

Gary

est

Reaction score
Thanks, Gary.

I plan on buying the volume pedal today... Was just hoping to get some kind of confirmation that this might work since I live far away from Guitar Center...

I know I'll have better luck asking this question HERE than I ever would THERE! LOL!

Reaction score
G'day,

I reckon Gary is on the money - what you're trying to do should definitely work.

Not sure if you want to go to the trouble, but as an alternative you could also use a line mixer with an effects loop to achieve the same outcome. Benefit - you can have a stereo signal out of each keyboard rather than mono. Drawback - a bit more expensive!

Although in thinking about it further, if you isolate one keyboard per amp, you'd lose the benefit of a stereo signal in any case...so perhaps the two mono outs into a stereo pedal is the best solution for your needs.

Cheers!

Last edited:

est

Reaction score
Thank you very much, Cowboy!
I ordered the pedal today.
I'll report back here after I try that setup!

Ask a Question