How to connect Yamaha Clavinova to Focusrite Scarlett Solo via the instrument jack (what type of cable?)

Reaction score
I would like to connect my Yamaha Clavinova CLP-130 (2002 model) to my 3rd generation Focusrite Scarlett Solo. The Solo has an XLR port and and instrument jack, no combo ports, no MIDI ports (I use a separate MIDI interface). I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) that I should use unbalanced cables for this. Would it cause potential harm if I used a balanced cable? Because the Solo interface only has one instrument jack, and there are 2 aux out ports (L and R) on the Clavinova, though I think perhaps if I want to do mono, I can just plug in the cable to the left jack.

Anyway, I was thinking that it might be better for me to get a Y cable, but now I'm seeing that TS cables don't come in Y, only TSR cables. (Per Sweetwater: "You will also find TRS connectors on the stem of Y cables." ) So now I don't know what I should do. I don't want to risk damaging my Clavinova or interface. Should I just plug an unbalanced cable into the left jack on the Clavinova, or should I get a balanced Y cable?

Thanks!

Reaction score
The Solo on the front face has an XLR socket for a mike input and a 1/4” TRS jack socket for an instrument input, which can be balanced (for line level input) or unbalanced according to the manual.

On the rear panel there are stereo pair of 1/4” jacks for the audio output L & R, and there is also a USB Type A socket.

The Solo should have come with a USB lead with Types A and C plugs, this is what should be used to connect the Solo to a Computer or Tablet.

A standard 1/4” TRS to 1/4” TRS lead connected to the Clav’s left output and to the front jack socket on the Solo should work just fine.

Reaction score
Thanks! My concern is mostly that I could "fry" my interface if I use the wrong cable(s). (I've only used the XLR and headphone jacks on my Solo thus far.)

It sounds like I can used either a TRS or TS cable in the front, so I just need to find out which one would be best for the Clavinova.

What I want to do is record audio (through my interface) and video at the same time, and the first step is acquiring all the necessary cables. I don't have a webcam, so I either need to buy a webcam or use my Smartphone as the camera.

If I use my phone as my video camera (which is what I do now), I think it's probably smart to power the interface from another source, such as a powerbank or my computer, and use the aux jacks on the back to send audio to my phone. I think what I need would be a Y-cable with 1/4" plugs on one side and a 3.5 mm plug on the other, to send the audio to my phone. I'm also not sure if the stereo L&R on the back would need TS or TRS cables, and again I just don't want to fry my interface by using the wrong type of cable.

I want to try recording video and audio simultaneously, because, right now, I'm recording my audio and producing it and then I'm shooting video afterwards, and I have to sing over my recording, take the audio off the video, and perfectly sync up the video with the audio. If I recorded them simultaneously, then I should be able to join the audio and video pretty much instantly, since they will both have the same start and stop times.

I do have an unbalanced cable somewhere, if I could just remember where I put it, I could test out at least half of this and then I'd just need the cable running from the back of the interface to my Smartphone. Or, I could buy a webcam and continue to use my computer to record (which has its advantages).

If there's anything wrong with my plan that would either not work or harm my interface, please let me know!

Ask a Question