How to improve VR-09 synth experience

Reaction score
I have a Roland VR-09 which I use for synth sounds, but I've noticed that the synth leads have a really annoying delay in which it repeats a few times until it dies out, which gets really frustrating because it muddies up solos. Forgive me if this is a dumb question, as I previously had never forayed into using synth leads, but why is this there, and how can I change it? Furthermore, the VR-09 doesn't have any knobs to mess with the synth things like cutoff and resonance. I was thinking of using a computer as a synth engine through Ableton, and that I could somehow use to get a lead that wasn't so delay-y, and control the parameters. I don't really know how to do this, though. Help on this or other solutions would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Not a dumb question at all.

I can only be general in a response, not personally having a VR.

There should be a sound editing mode where you can delve into the parameters and make the adjustments that you seek.

That said you may have to copy the Synth Sound to a User Bank location before you can make changes to the sound.

Reaction score
the synth leads have a really annoying delay in which it repeats a few times until it dies out
Sounds like you just need to turn down the knob marked Delay in the effects panel on the left.

the VR-09 doesn't have any knobs to mess with the synth things like cutoff and resonance.
The 1' drawbar (last on the right) also functions as a cutoff control, it is labeled for that. And you'll see that the slider to its right is resonance.

If you have an iPad, you can also download Roland's free editor for deeper control than what you can do on the unit itself. Someone also makes an editor you can run from a computer, I believe.

I was thinking of using a computer as a synth engine through Ableton...and control the parameters. I don't really know how to do this, though.
I don't know Ableton, but I believe most of the Roland controls send MIDI sysex, so if Ableton can recognize MIDI sysex and let you map it to whatever you want to control, you should be able to do what you want.

Reaction score
Sounds like you just need to turn down the knob marked Delay in the effects panel on the left.

The 1' drawbar (last on the right) also functions as a cutoff control, it is labeled for that. And you'll see that the slider to its right is resonance.

If you have an iPad, you can also download Roland's free editor for deeper control than what you can do on the unit itself. Someone also makes an editor you can run from a computer, I believe.

I don't know Ableton, but I believe most of the Roland controls send MIDI sysex, so if Ableton can recognize MIDI sysex and let you map it to whatever you want to control, you should be able to do what you want.
Thanks so much for the help. However, I have all the knobs turned down, but I am still getting a delay. I’ve messed with all the drawbars, but none of them are changing the delay.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the help. However, I have all the knobs turned down, but I am still getting a delay.
If delay is built into a patch, you'll need to turn the delay down AFTER you invoke the sound. If the knob is already turned all the way off, you may need to turn it up in order to be able to turn it down.

I’ve messed with all the drawbars, but none of them are changing the delay.
Right, the drawbars don't do anything except what they're labeled for (drawbar footages, or alternately, Attack, Decay, Release, Cutoff, Resonance).

Ask a Question