How to install software for yamaha psr s710 to mac

Reaction score
Hi all, just bought myself a yamaha psr s 710 keyboard, looking for someone to help me to install the software? For some reason the disc does nothing when i put into disc drive, it shows up on my screen but cant open any files. The instructions are aimed at pc / windows use, i have a mac. Given that i'm not great with computers, can anyone tell me how to install the software for this darn thing :)

Reaction score
Hi all, just bought myself a yamaha psr s 710 keyboard, looking for someone to help me to install the software? For some reason the disc does nothing when i put into disc drive, it shows up on my screen but cant open any files. The instructions are aimed at pc / windows use, i have a mac. Given that i'm not great with computers, can anyone tell me how to install the software for this darn thing :)

Um, obviously this forum is as devoid of humans as the Sun.

Reaction score
I HEAR YOU!

unfortunately there may be nothing you can do, there is a good chunk of software out there that cannot be used on a mac platform. however macs are superior and if it cant be used on a mac then its probably not worth using :p

there is a work around, you could put windows on your mac. just a thought.

oh and one more possibility, you can to go the yamaha site and try to find a download of the whatever you have on the disk but for macs. thats more of a long shot but worth a try.

Reaction score
I WISH!

If anybody needs any help at all from YAMAHA, dont bother trying, it will never come. They are pathetic! I'm selling my board because of it, and wont recommend Yamaha to anybody, its one thing to b=have bells and whistles to sell gear, but they hide from you the fact that their product isnt even compatible with some computers, even in the 21st Century! They have ZERO customer service, they push everything back to stores who have no information. DONT BUY YAMAHA!!

I HEAR YOU!

unfortunately there may be nothing you can do, there is a good chunk of software out there that cannot be used on a mac platform. however macs are superior and if it cant be used on a mac then its probably not worth using :p

there is a work around, you could put windows on your mac. just a thought.

oh and one more possibility, you can to go the yamaha site and try to find a download of the whatever you have on the disk but for macs. thats more of a long shot but worth a try.

Reaction score
haha ziggy, what exactly are you trying to do when you hook up your keyboard to your computer? what software exactly are you loading?

Reaction score
Hey mate, thanks for the reply, Its weird, I bought this keyboard with all the required software etc. Its not a rip off thing, as I know the store owner really well, as a friend. When you put the keyboard software installation disc into a mac, it just gives me the contents of the disc, no way you can actually install it. No folders to actually install. The manual is useless, as it is aimed only at PC users. Ridiculous. Anyway, this keyboard has usb inputs, all I'm trying to do is get a signal, either in protools or garage band. I cant even get that to happen. I am a guitarist by trade, I bought this thing to force myself to learn some piano, and its functions seem great in theory for recording. My problem is I cant work out how to f%*king record anything! Then again, I am relatively new to protools, so maybe I'm not hitting something that WILL give me a signal. Maybe I'll just hire Dave Bryan! :)

Reaction score
I just want to be able to get an audio signal, thats about it really. I only bought this thing for recording purposes...

Reaction score
sounds to me like you might want to get an audio interface. its a hardware unit that plugs into your computer via firewire or usb. i have this one... http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackUltra.html it basically allows you to plug a 1/4 inch or XLR cable (any audio source really) directly into the interface which then transmits the signal to the DAW on your computer via usb.

you may want a slightly smaller one. the size of the interface you get will depend on what you want to do with it. perhaps something like this... http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrack.html

the other option I can think of is getting a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adapter and plugging directly into the mic jack on your mac from the keyboard that you're trying to get an audio signal from. though the quality of the audio signal suffers when you do this.

these are the two fixes I could think of, but there are probably more.

Reaction score
I really hate to do this but... Get a PC! It obviously "Just works!" as Mac is supposed to lol...

Ok, enough with the jokes...
First of all - this isn't Yamaha official forums and you can't judge a company by responces here...

Also, You can't judge the company for producing software for 91% of OSs that
run PCs all over the world (yea, windows).

Also, what you want to do has nothing to do with the software on the CD. As mentioned above, all you really need are some cables and a good audio card in your Mac... and ofcourse an audio recording software installed (which BTW is NOT on the CD, not even for windows users).

Also, if your board has USB to host connections you can use the keyboard as a midi interface... but then you'll need some VSTs to get the sound since MIDI just sends singnals - not the sound itself

Reaction score
yeah you will definatly need an audio interface, im 99% sure that the s710 cannot be used as an interface like yamahas workstations can (with the optional expansion) but they can be used as a midi interface thats probably what your trying to do and thats why its not working for you. adn i completely agree with frankj, the m audio is the way to go. and if you just want one input hte fast track will more than suit your needs. and i think it even comes with m audio pro tools

Ask a Question