How to keep a sustain pedal in place?

Reaction score
There must be a proven way to keep these things in place, right? I have two pedals, one that looks like a normal piano pedal and the other is one of those squarish looking Yamaha momentary switch type pedals. The obvious problem is no matter how I depress the pedals they walk all over the place and it drives me crazy. My first thought was to mount the pedal to a piece of plywood but there must be a better solution.

Reaction score
There must be a proven way to keep these things in place, right? I have two pedals, one that looks like a normal piano pedal and the other is one of those squarish looking Yamaha momentary switch type pedals. The obvious problem is no matter how I depress the pedals they walk all over the place and it drives me crazy. My first thought was to mount the pedal to a piece of plywood but there must be a better solution.
1) turn the pedal 90 degrees (pedal facing east-west rather than north-south). Don't ask me how but this works.
2) buy a non-slip mat from a hardware store, put the pedal on the mat perhaps vecroing the pedal to the non-slip mat

I put a carpet under my stand and put the pedals on it because I use a dual sustain pedal and #1 doesn't work for dual sustains. the carpet also controls my expression pedal and leslie switching pedal from moving.

Reaction score
Grip Mat.

I got a roll of it for about £2 off Amazon years ago.

Used it for many things especially to keep pedals in place, no glue, no velcro, no sticky duct tape, this stuff works and it is only about 2mm thick and cuts with a pair of scissors.

AD8EF307-6910-4E44-B7E0-FF92CE511DDD.jpeg

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I knew there would be a better way than plywood :) I'm gonna try both methods but the 90 degree trick won't work for the Yamaha pedal but I will try it with the other one.

Reaction score
Tip from guitar land... buy a Pedalboard.

I use PedalTrain brand. You can buy cheaper "copy brands" on Amazon, but at least PedalTrain are reliable, and not that expensive to begin with.

You can get a PedalTrain "Metro 16" with a Hard Case for US$99.

Check your pedals dimensions against the pedalboard dimensions (see website) before making any purchase.

In the case of the Metro 16, you have space for a Sustain Pedal, an Expression Pedal and room left over for a few external effects pedals (e.g. Delay and Reverb). You can fit an isolated pedal power supply (e.g. Strymon Ojai) under the board.

Reaction score
What's always worked great for me: a flex mic extension. The 9 inch piece that clamps on to a microphone stand that acoustic guitar players use - just attach it to either side of the tubular bottom of your keyboard stand, and bend it accordingly to hold the sustain pedal in place.

Reaction score
All very viable solutions. Right now I'm using a small piece of grip mat that my wife had. My pedals still move a little but much less than before. Probably need a larger mat but I plan to try some of the other methods as well.

Reaction score
To add - nothing quite holds the pedal in place if you have to perform on a smooth flooring (not able to use a mat or rug) - enter duct tape :) Two 3-inch strips rolled up stuck underneath the pedal front and back (I use a Alesis SP-2 and Yamaha FC4).

Reaction score
I have already shown you folks the absolute best way.

No sticky tape, no glue residue, no expensive pedal board, about 20 pence worth of mat off the roll.

Grip mat simply works, it worked with my guitar pedals, with my guitar all in one board, and with a keyboard pedal all you need is a 150 x 150 square or in my case an off cut.

Tiled or wooden floor no difference, there is no movement.

A916D83F-F588-45B6-9215-0554BBBC98B6.jpeg

Reaction score
I have already shown you folks the absolute best way.

No sticky tape, no glue residue, no expensive pedal board, about 20 pence worth of mat off the roll.

Grip mat simply works, it worked with my guitar pedals, with my guitar all in one board, and with a keyboard pedal all you need is a 150 x 150 square or in my case an off cut.

Tiled or wooden floor no difference, there is no movement.

View attachment 2644
Not knocking your way Biggles, there's just other ways too - and they're not necessarily better or worse than yours. I've used "sticky" (duct) tape at least 100 times in the past - no residual left on floor or pedal bottom - and the mic stand attachment locks the pedal in place.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I honestly can't believe this thread is still going.

I say buy a couple of 5 inch U clamps and some two inch lag bolts and screw it into the floor and be done with it. :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Just to add a bit of value to the gaffer tape method - the reasons I use it are:

1. Fast
2. I travel a lot and play on all sorts of different stages and surfaces and it works for all
3. Flexible as I can gaff pedals differently for different ergonomic situations.
4. Gaffer tape (note - not duct tape) does NOT leave a sticky residue nor does it damage surfaces. If it does - you’re using the wrong tape.
5. Lightweight and transportable.

Lots of great suggestions in the commentary above. There’s no “best” way - there’s just what works best for your situation.

Reaction score
The good thing about pedal boards is no-more faffing about.

I wish I'd forked out the cash a lot earlier, and traded away years of faffing.

Pedal Board Instruction:-

1) Take out of case and put on floor.
2) Connect Instrument, Amp and Power
3) Play
4) Disconnect Instrument, Amp and Power
5) Put back in case.

Ask a Question