how to loop samples having attack (Casio WK)

DMS

Reaction score
Using the Casio looping parameter.

I am new to the world of loading samples to my Casion WK3500, and have both samples and the Music Data Management Software.

I'm puzzled by the following - manysample wavs for synth sounds are meant to be looped, and the Casio Software has a looping option..... how the heck does that deal with the fact that even sustained sounds have some type of attack... if you literally looped those files, I'd suspect you wouldn't get a fluid sustain... it's almost as if you'd need to have one file that contains the attack and sustain, and then another file with the attack cut out, and that is the one that loops. The full sound is produced by playing the first file and then the looped second file. Ok - so that is what seems intuitive, but I'm suspecting the software gets around this somehow, so that you can actually get by with a single wav file that's looped.... curious how to get around that seeming barrier???

Thanks, DMS

The Y_man

Reaction score
Don't know anything regarding the sampling features on the WK, but back when I was playing around with samplers, you could program the start point, the fnish point, and also the point you wanted the looping to start from... hope it makes sense

Y-man

DMS

Reaction score
I'm assuming that if a wav file plays for a duration of 3 seconds, and has both a pronounced attack/decay/steady state... there's no way about it, and a wav editing program is needed. I'm also assuming that if you give the Casio software the instruction to loop.... you loop the whole thing and not just the steady state... seems to far a stretch for the Casio program to sort out by itself.... if that's all true so far.. what is the best sample editing software for light duty/ease of use? Fruity Loops Edison may do the trick, but something simpler may suffice???

Reaction score
I've tried to loop samples on my Casio WK-3800 with Wave Converter, using simple wav file, and then with a modified wav file with loop start point and end point.
Enabled loop under the Casio software, but it's not working in the way it should.
The sound plays once, make's a pause, then plays again.
I believe the Casio sampler is just too primitive to perform loops correctly.

DMS

Reaction score
good sample looping program for editimg .wav files?

I have Fruity Loops, but never learned it... seems to me there has to be something much more light weight that allows someone to take a synth wav sound, sind the steady state tone (after the initial attack) copy and paste several times so that the wave duration is sustained several minutes... any supereasy program out there for that purpose?

Reaction score
"wave duration is sustained several minutes" HUH? This is will be way too big for the CASIO's tiny flash rom memory.

DMS

Reaction score
sorry about that... my newness... I received a sample wav pack for the Yamaha CS80 - some files were only a few seconds, some were minutes (looped) - I understood the value of long, looped samples, but don't have enough experience yet to judge how long is long enough (and also small enough file size, etc). So to restart the thread, can you please recommend a simple wav editor... and as long as we're on the subject, what's a pragmatic loop duration - something long enough to create a pedal tone for "several" measures, but not to exceed "xx" MB of file size.

Obviously, it matters how many samples I'm trying to load, how many splits, how long the tones are, if they are 15 bit, etc etc.... but perhaps there's a pragmatic ballpark to start with assuming 1bit samples and 4 to 5 splits..... maybe 4 to 5 tones.... Example- 10 seconds is almost always long enough because that'll span a few measures typically...and at 16bits resolution, you can load 4 splits and repeat for about 5 different new tone+wav on a single floppy. Appreciate your experience and guidance... but the loop editor opinion is desired too!

Poy

Reaction score
Although several years have passed, has anyone been able to solve the loop problem? Casio never responded to this and did not update their conversion software.

Ask a Question