How to make a hit song?

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the best title for what I'm really asking and I have tons of questions but this might be the biggest for me.
I've done tons of my own riffs over the last 37 years but I never really knew how to make a full song with them. "Yeh, I'm one of those guys" :)
My latest, as soon as I heard it play back, I thought this a real hit song and even more so now. Not sure if it fits the definition of "riff" but the main part is generally 4 chords with a repetition of 16 notes. It has just an awesome sound imo and one I never heard before, I THINK. It grabs you almost immediately. That would be the first question. How do you know if it's really original? Secondly, how do you arrange a whole song around it. I do already see some great lyrical lines as I listen but I don't want to tunnel vision it yet. I need good outside creative input. I sort of pictured if I were young again and had a little band with stars in their eyes we could sit around and I would start and the drummer might jump in, we play around with it and discuss "let's go this way with it" etc. I really just have no idea. I don't want to just post it for fear anyone could just take it. Is that weird?

Reaction score
just listened again, yes wow, it really is awesome. It really just grabs you immediatly and if I ever did hear anything close to it, it would have been my favorite song of all time. I just gotta get this done somehow.

Reaction score
Sleep with Beyonce Knowles :D

It ain't WHAT you know it's WHO you know.

Gary ;)
You really hit the nail even though we tend to over look old sayings. I actually forgot about that part even though I've deeply considered that phenomone. I shouldn't go into it here but let's just say pink floyd's "have a cigar" captures the spirit. Even so, I have to finish the song somehow before I check out Beyoncé's soup line. :)

Reaction score
"If you run the beast catches you, if you stay the beast eats you". If you do not copyright, you are in a dead end, or not.:cool::)
lol, funny thing but you may especially relate. I have never patented or written for journals yet I have discoveries. I just keep them secret and make money on them. I guess that policy wouldn't work for a hit song. :)

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
Hey, Alchemy, you can free copyright in this place:

http://www.copyrighted.com

It is free. Sign up, all files will be archived and can be consulted at any time. That's something, right? When you publish your music, let their logo on display, and the Copyright Number, they provide. I have several things over there.:)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
, I thought this a real hit song and even more so now.

You may have a "smashing" riff. But who will buy it? What age group will adhere to your sound. "The Stones" keep coming up with new riffs and new songs . . But does anyone buy their stuff these days?

Anyway, you can only try it. If you seriously think it could be "a hit!" Then get off your ass and make a move. copyright it or not. Just make the move. Post your sound to get some initial reaction. If you get positive feedback maybe then is the time to copyright. If someone copies it and makes sqillions . . Well so be it. Just move on to you next project.

Nothing to lose. Maybe something to gain. Do nothing and nothing will happen and you will be stressing over it for evermore.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Any original work is automatically copyrighted the second you create it and slap a copyright notice on it.

Registering copyright with the Library of Congress or some other service is a worthless waste of money and time.

Gary ;)

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
From what I understand, you can't sue for damages prior to registration.

At least in the United States. Other countries have different laws.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The way I understand it, it's copyrighted as soon as it's created.

Proof of prior art can be demonstrated as easily as a Soundcloud track.

I can't see any court of law requiring any more.

It must be similar to other IP laws in that as long as you have a dated first publication you have proof of ownership.

Gary ;)

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”

Why should I register my work if copyright protection is automatic?
Registration is recommended for a number of reasons. Many choose to register their works because they wish to have the facts of their copyright on the public record and have a certificate of registration. Registered works may be eligible for statutory damages and attorney's fees in successful litigation. Finally, if registration occurs within five years of publication, it is considered prima facie evidence in a court of law. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration” and Circular 38b, Highlights of Copyright Amendments Contained in the Uruguay Round Agreements Act (URAA), on non-U.S. works.

I’ve heard about a “poor man’s copyright.” What is it?
The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself is sometimes called a “poor man’s copyright.” There is no provision in the copyright law regarding any such type of protection, and it is not a substitute for registration.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#register

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If I may offer a rebuttal... ;)

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/apr/03/how-much-musicians-make-spotify-itunes-youtube

How much do musicians really make from Spotify, iTunes and YouTube?

...snip...

Besides calculations for how much an artist can expect to earn from a single sale or stream, the infographic shows how many of those sales or streams they'd need to earn the US monthly minimum wage of $1,260.

...snip...

GUARDIAN_Musicians_2015_09_FB_2.jpg

In other words, the LEAST of your worries is having the "Happy Birthday" of the 21st century stolen from you :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Attachments

• GUARDIAN_Musicians_2015_09_FB_(2).jpg
    GUARDIAN_Musicians_2015_09_FB_(2).jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
Reaction score

About 25% of these are Australian hits, but the point is well made.
Brilliant. I was reading about Canon once and the famous hits they claim were made from it like let it be, freebird, tin soldier, the list seems endless. Tin soldier is definitely made from Canon and I could probably find many more in that exact progression. However, as you know, freebird, let it be etc. and the "zillion of hit songs" as they are also playing here omits Canons 4th chord which of course gives it a very different sound imo. I've thought about this a lot and wondered if it's really fair to say they came from Canon. I don't really know. It's hard to clear my head of various bias to honestly answer that for myself. Canon was definitely a masterpiece but did it really inspire that 4 chord progression they are playing?

Last edited:
Reaction score
just to mention, I sure don't want to sue anyone and I doubt I would. I don't think I really even want money from it. I think I would be fulfilled just to have my name in small print somewhere associated with it. I also thoroughly believe it's not a pride thing either. I don't know how to explain. Maybe I would see it as a redemption by this cruel world?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
"Forget these crazy dreams of stardom son. It's time to marry a nice girl settle down, sell insurance and join the local Shriners' Club..."

The famous words of every father of every generation :D :D :D

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, there were a lot of cases of copyright infringement back in the 80's and 90's.

Most of them involved sampled music snippets by dance and rap artists, but one of the most famous involved George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord" and its uncanny resemblance to the Chiffons' "He's So Fine."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Sweet_Lord

Harrison was found to have subconsciously plagiarised the song without even realizing it.

The point is it was a legal battle between record labels. I strongly suspect neither party registered copyright until the recording companies published them.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question