How to open sty. files in Cakewalk

Reaction score
Hi, I wanted to ask if anyone knows how to open .sty files in Cakewalk?
I wanted to make some music with the Yamaha styles but is not possible with my keyboard and it would be easier to create in a Daw.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You'd probably have to google for sty2cwk or whatever converter utility to make it work.

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND :>

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You might be able to open the files by simply renaming their extensions from ".STY" to ".MID," but if Cakewalk still has trouble with it then there's a free utility from Jørgen Sørensen called "Style Split and Splice" that will split a Yamaha style file into a standard MIDI file and a non-MIDI file that contains the other information in it:

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Of course, simply opening and importing the file will be only part of the problem. Then you'll still need to use the text markers to identify which measures go with which style sections, assign virtual instruments to each of the style's channels, and perhaps most importantly, transpose the style's chords and melody lines to whichever musical keys and chords/chord types that you want to use, which is something the keyboard normally does for you according to which keys and chords you play in the keyboard's accompaniment zone.

Reaction score
Of course, simply opening and importing the file will be only part of the problem. Then you'll still need to use the text markers to identify which measures go with which style sections, assign virtual instruments to each of the style's channels, and perhaps most importantly, transpose the style's chords and melody lines to whichever musical keys and chords/chord types that you want to use, which is something the keyboard normally does for you according to which keys and chords you play in the keyboard's accompaniment zone.
wow this is harder than i thought, Do you think that I, a beginner, can do this?

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
It's difficult to say, since one person might find it easier to do than another person depending on their musical knowledge and other factors. It definitely isn't as easy as you might have hoped, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth making the effort. :)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
There's another utility called "CASM Editor" at the site I linked to previously:

It lets you view and modify the parameters which are stored in the CASM dara chunk of a Yamaha style. Those parameters control things like how the original MIDI notes are read and transposed, which keys and chord types are allowed for the style, and so on, so it might be a useful tool for helping you figure out how to handle the MIDI data in a given style file.

There's also a section that contains links to detailed information about style files, how they're organized, and the types of parameters they contain:

However, I would start by just loading a style file-- after changing its extension to ".MID"-- and play it back to see what it sounds like, then go from there. You'll need to direct the MIDI output to either a soft synth or other virtual instrument, or to an external keyboard that's connected to your computer, to sound the MIDI data.

Ask a Question