How to play MIDI files through the DGX-660

Reaction score
I apologize if this is a bit long and rambled, but this has been driving me crazy.

A couple years ago I had a thumb-drive that I did MIDI experiments with through the Yamaha DGX-660 for months. I uploaded MIDI files to the keyboard and even converted MP3 files into MIDI just to hear the piano's auditory illusions when doing so. Eventually I grew out of this fun and left the drive in the piano at all times, and while I played normally I occasionally went back and played the files just for fun.

Fast forward to yesterday. I got a new laptop recently so I've been downloading and experimenting with various software, and it occurred to me that I could get some MIDI software for usage with my keyboard. This also made me remember when I used to play MIDI songs through the keyboard using the hard-drive (which was still plugged in). So I unplugged it, stuck it into my laptop, moved a couple of new MIDI files onto the drive, and put it back into the keyboard (after properly ejecting it, of course). The files didn't show up - unlike all the other files I had on there from years ago.

In trying to fix this (without much thinking) I re-formatted the drive, wiping everything I had on there before... so that sucked. I figured that maybe it would fix it, though. It did not. I put MIDI files everywhere I could in the drive but it never showed up on the keyboard. I thought that maybe this drive was broken from its age, so I got a new drive, formatted it, and tried the same thing . . . it still didn't show up.

To test some things, I uploaded my User Songs from the DGX-660 onto it, downloaded them onto my laptop, and it worked. However, I'm only able to move files that came from the keyboard originally - not files that came from my laptop.

Does anybody know why this is? What am I doing wrong, and how was I able to do this two years ago but continue to fail every time I try today? I went through a bunch of forums, the Owner's Manual, everything I could think of. This is effectively my last resort for such a minor and simple problem.

Thanks!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The only thing that comes to mind is that there might be something about the filenames which is preventing them from showing up. For instance, I'm pretty sure a filename such as the following would be problematic:

MySong.WrittenByMe.MID

The problem with the above hypothetical filename is that some keyboards will automatically assume that all text coming after the first period is the file's extension, so they will think that "MySong" is the name of the file and "WrittenByMe.MID" is the extension. Since those keyboards are looking for the "MID" extension, they will not display a file whose extension is "WrittenByMe.MID" in the list of available MIDI song files.

If the filenames do in fact contain extra periods, try renaming the files to change all periods except for the one that precedes "MID" to some other character, such as an underline:

MySong_WrittenByMe. MID

Reaction score
A couple of additional things.

The file needs to be in the correct location, I think there is a myfiles folder which is where the files should be but do check the manual

Next, I think that there is a file size limitation, again do check.

Ask a Question