How to restore the polyphony (PC-200 mkII MIDI controller)

Reaction score
Hello,

I've tried restoring to factory settings, but that didn't work.
The "manual" refers to "Mode 1 (Omni on; Poly On) -which sounds what I'm looking for -but there's no mention of how to switch "modes".

Can anyone provide some direction, here?

I thought CC 127 might switch it on/off but that didn't seem to work (unless I'm doing it wrong, which is very likely.
Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thank you...and stay safe!

K8ch

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
On page 12 of the manual the MIDI Implementation Chart says the controller uses Mode 3 (Omni Off, Poly) and does not recognize any messages for changing the mode, so there is no way you can switch it to Mode 1, Mode 2, or Mode 4.

Basically, it will send its MIDI messages on only one channel at a time. You can select which channel you want it to transmit on, but you cannot transmit on multiple channels at the same time.

If you want to create splits, layers, or zones such that the notes within a given range will control a given device or patch, allowing you to control two or more devices or patches at the same time, you will need to use some sort of go-between software or hardware which will change the channel number for the Note On events based on the values of those notes, or (if you want to use layers) which will duplicate the events on additional channels.

This is often easy to do with a DAW or other "MIDI event processor" app, but if a software solution isn't suitable for your situation you can also do it with a hardware interface that you've programmed to process the MIDI according to your desires.

Reaction score
K8ch, what exactly is the issue you're having with polyphony? Polyphony limitations should be related to what it is you're controlling, not the controller.

Reaction score
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this matter.
Much appreciated!!

I cannot get the keyboard to be anything but, monophonic.
I restart w/factory settings, and it's still monophonic.

I've owned it for many years, and this anomaly only recently started to happen.

K8ch

Reaction score
I cannot get the keyboard to be anything but, monophonic.
I've owned it for many years, and this anomaly only recently started to happen.
What is the sound source you are controlling (VST, app, sound module, whatever)? Most likely it has been set to monophonic, and you need to change that setting or patch, rather than there being something to change in your controller. (Some sound sources are always monophonic, but if you're using something that used to be polyphonic, then it should be something you can change back to the way it was.)

Reaction score
Thanks...
I'm connected with my DAW and trying to trigger piano chords...but the keyboard is only sending monophonic.
So, it's the controller.

Reaction score
Thanks...
I'm connected with my DAW and trying to trigger piano chords...but the keyboard is only sending monophonic.
So, it's the controller.

Being more specific might provide clues. For example, what DAW is it? What piano are you triggering within the DAW?

You might try a simple MIDI Monitor app so you can see what's coming out of the controller even before it hits the DAW. (I believe there are free ones for Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android.)

Looking at the controller's manual, there is no mono mode, so there's no relevant setting to restore/enable/disable. If the problem is not in any of your attached hardware or software, then I'd say the controller is probably in need of repair.

Ask a Question