How to set up 2 keyboard rig with Kurzweill

Reaction score
Hi. I have a Kurzweill SP4-7 stage keyboard which pretty easy to use. However I would love to have a second tier so I can easily get an organ sound anytime without pressing too many buttons, i would think 44 keys would do? I know you can use a Midi however it all seems tricky and I don't want to take a laptop etc. What would be a good second tier? Will it need it's own input to the mixer in rehearsals and gigs? Do people mind if you use 2 inputs?? I would also need a pedal for the organ if you can suggest any? Thank you all!!!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hi Adrienne... Welcome to the forums.

As to your question, I'd suggest a Roland VR-09 for your top tier.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VR09

Also, since you'd be carrying a lot of weight on your stand I'd suggest a two tier Z type stand such as this one from Onstage.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZStd2Tier

I own one of those stands and believe me it can support a truckload of stuff on it.

And yes, the VR-09 would require its own inputs for the mixer. Usually not a big deal unless you are running out of inputs. Then again you can always input an instrument in mono mode, even a keyboard if you are running short on inputs.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi Adrienne... Welcome to the forums.

As to your question, I'd suggest a Roland VR-09 for your top tier.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VR09

Also, since you'd be carrying a lot of weight on your stand I'd suggest a two tier Z type stand such as this one from Onstage.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZStd2Tier

I own one of those stands and believe me it can support a truckload of stuff on it.

And yes, the VR-09 would require its own inputs for the mixer. Usually not a big deal unless you are running out of inputs. Then again you can always input an instrument in mono mode, even a keyboard if you are running short on inputs.

Gary ;)
Gary thank you so much. Excellent advice! I'm really thinking about taking the plunge!

Reaction score
Also thanks for the stand advice. These types look sturdier and more comfortable with pedal and foot room than those Ultimate Apex types.

Reaction score
Gary thank you so much. Excellent advice! I'm really thinking about taking the plunge!
Gary, I think I might sell my Kurzweil and just get the Nord 5D 73..I think this would suit my needs. Less to lug around. what do you think? Thanks for your help..

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sounds like a great plan to me.

Between the Nord and a 37 or 49 key controller you'd be able to fully utilize the sounds of the Nord without too much fuss plus you'd have a top of the line state of the art instrument to gig with.

My only reservation would be total cost but I assume you've already managed to work it into the budget.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
haha.. now I have a new plan...I am going to sell my Kurzweil and maybe get the Nord 5D 73. That way I can have it all in one keyboard and just add a 25 key Midi for other sounds like strings.
This would work too, some things to be aware of though:

1. The Nord you're looking at is WAY more expensive than the Roland
2. You'll probably only get about AUD800 or less for the SP4-7. That's what I sold mine for, with a very good semi-rigid bag. So all in all, you're running a more expensive option.
3. Although it's not its speciality, the Nord does strings, you wouldn't need an extra keyboard for that
4. Personally, I don't really enjoy Nord's SW keybed for playing piano. I much prefer the SP4-7 in that regard. That's very much a subjective thing though so I recommend you have a good play in a music shop to form your own view.

The Nord Electro 5D is a very nice keyboard, sounds fantastic and would definitely give you great sounding pianos and organs. You just need to weigh up the factors above, taking into consideration the convenience of the one keyboard setup.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This would work too, some things to be aware of though:

1. The Nord you're looking at is WAY more expensive than the Roland
2. You'll probably only get about AUD800 or less for the SP4-7. That's what I sold mine for, with a very good semi-rigid bag. So all in all, you're running a more expensive option.
3. Although it's not its speciality, the Nord does strings, you wouldn't need an extra keyboard for that
4. Personally, I don't really enjoy Nord's SW keybed for playing piano. I much prefer the SP4-7 in that regard. That's very much a subjective thing though so I recommend you have a good play in a music shop to form your own view.

The Nord Electro 5D is a very nice keyboard, sounds fantastic and would definitely give you great sounding pianos and organs. You just need to weigh up the factors above, taking into consideration the convenience of the one keyboard setup.

I really appreciate your thoughts Cowboy NQ (-;
My problem is I'm new to playing live and being in a band and I want to have it all. An easy set up, easy access to organ. Do you think the organ sounds are ok with the Kurweil? I haven't bought a pedal yet, maybe I should get a pedal and work with this one. I may have been influenced my what I have read. I should also try extending with a MIDI keyboard so I can have another sound at my fingertips. it could be that the Kurzweil is easier to use...hmm...

Reaction score
My problem is I'm new to playing live and being in a band and I want to have it all. An easy set up, easy access to organ. Do you think the organ sounds are ok with the Kurweil? I haven't bought a pedal yet, maybe I should get a pedal and work with this one. I may have been influenced my what I have read. I should also try extending with a MIDI keyboard so I can have another sound at my fingertips. it could be that the Kurzweil is easier to use...hmm...

Can I ask, when you asked my budget...I said $1000, what would you recommend if I said $1500 for a second tier set up. What is it like working with a 2 rig tier...Is it kind of easier? Lots of fun?

Reaction score
Do you think the organ sounds are ok with the Kurweil?
At the end of the day it really depends what you're after, and how important the organ is to you. I would only call the organ sounds on the SP4-7 "passable" and I can assure you the Nord will eclipse it significantly, and for that matter so will the VR-09. But what I think isn't important, it's what works for you in your band situation.

I'll inbox you so I don't bog down this thread too much.

Reaction score

I've been down the same road you are in: Trying to get a single keyboard to do all the things I need it to do--especially provide quality "organic" sounds like strings, APs, EPs and especially a respectable Hammond organ. I've tested--and owned--just about every keyboard attempting to do just that in recent years, including Nord, Roland, Yamaha, Kurzweil and others, and have concluded IMO that the Kurzweil Artis 7 combines the "better of all worlds": great "real" pianos, strings that are unmatched in the industry, and a very plausible B3 (and especially Leslie rotary effect), plus that all-important factor of budget (I just purchased a 2nd Artis 7 with a new Kurzweil76 semi-rigid gig bag for $1230AUS on Ebay. It was a "demo" but was delivered in mint condition, with the keys exhibiting absolutely no wear, scratches, etc, plus a 6 mo. warranty). There are plenty of keyboards--especially today--that do a great job emulating ONE or TWO of the sounds you are trying to capture, but I believe the Artis 7 does the best job in providing ALL of them in a respectable fashion. It's also easy to maneuver around AND if you get bored with the existing sounds and programs there's a free software program from Kurzweil that allows you to "enter" the data base of the board and make parameter adjustments to fine-tune each sound to your personal liking.

A

Al Evans

Would it not work to put your chosen piano and organ sounds on two of the presets, possibly with a split since you say you don't need the full organ keyboard? On my SP7X, it looks like you could load them into two "setups" and select the one you want easily.

Reaction score
I have the SPS4-8 version of the SP4-7. Do you use the User Setups? I do. Piano and Organ (best there is at price) are a button apart. I have all my main sounds in a row and instantly switch. I have a Roland FA-08 up top, but only use it for occasional synth sounds and a sax solo! The SP4 is awesome in itself,

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually if she finds the organs on the SP4-7 acceptable, she could solve the entire problem by simply adding a 49 Key controller to her upper tier, assign pianos to channel 1 on the main keyboard and organs or strings to channel 2 to be played on the upper tier controller.

Problem solved with minimal expense and difficulty.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question