How to sing midi karaoke with a keyboard?

Reaction score
Dear all,

I intend to buy the new Roland BK-5. According to the ad, it has "Video output to share SMF/MP3 Lyrics with friends or the audience on an external screen".

However, this keyboard does not have a Microphone input (unlike the Yamaha S910 or the Tyros range).

So what should I buy, apart from the microphone, to sing karaoke with this keyboard?

I vaguely understand that I need to buy a mixer, but I don't know how to connect it.

regards,

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, for the video out to display karaoke text (or the normal things you see on your keyboard display) you can use any tv or monitor but you have to set it to AV or similar like you would do if a DVD player or camera was attached.
As it happened yesterday a friend with an PSR 3000 had problems with its LCD screen. We connected the video out to a big flatscreen TV. Worked like a dream. Now he will buy a small tv as the LCD is quite expensive to replace.
Good luck.

Reaction score
Hi DickR, when you use the keyboard for karaoke in a small room (like a living room), do you need to use extra speakers or a mixer? Or you just need a keyboard and a mic?

Reaction score
At least you need a keyboard with the right connections, a microphone and if you want to display the text a monitor. Unless there are only a few people looking over your shoulder on the rather small keyboard display.
I use ALWAYS speakers (don't do karaoke) as the sound is so MUCH better and most lcd displays go bad by the vibration of internal speakers when the soundlevel is a bit high. I do use a mixer as I have more than one keyboard and other stuff.

Ask a Question