How to split MIDI to two modules ?

Bud

Reaction score
Wondering if possible to split a MIDI signal from keyboard.
keyboard has usb B out. I have a setup using usb B to A cable ( “printer cable”) to an Apple camera adapter , to IPad synth app .
so far so good. I’d like to add another IPad w/ other sound app, controlled the same way. Keyboard is splitable, w/ diff MIDI channels for each side.
No din connections avail, so no MIDI thru avail……unless there’s a way I cannot think of.
any ideas welcome.
thx

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You could try the Midiflow app: https://www.midiflow.com/ It has many features, including the ability to connect to other iPads and iPhones via Bluetooth MIDI. As for whether or not a Bluetooth connection will be fast/good enough-- well, there's only one way to find out.

Reaction score
keyboard has usb B out. I have a setup using usb B to A cable ( “printer cable”) to an Apple camera adapter , to IPad synth app .
so far so good. I’d like to add another IPad w/ other sound app, controlled the same way. Keyboard is splitable, w/ diff MIDI channels for each side...No din connections avail, so no MIDI thru avail

Why not run the second iPad sound app on the same iPad? You shouldn't typically need to get a second iPad involved to do something like this. You can usually run both apps on the same iPad simultaneously, simply by putting them on different MIDI channels, and enabling background processing for them. You can also more flexibly manage multiple MIDI apps running simultaneously by adding an app like Camelot Pro, AUM, or Keystage.

But if you must send MIDI from a USB-only keyboard to two destinations, there are ways to do it. Besides SGG's suggestion, there are USB Host adapters that give USB-only keyboards 5-pin DIN connectors (which you can then use with thru boxes); there are the CME WIDI devices which allow you to create groups of multiple 5-pin and/or USB devices that communicate via bluetooth; possibly one of the devices from mumidi would do it (or the iConnectMIDI2+ if you can still find one); and probably some other more rube-goldbergian ways involving a mix of hubs and adapters. ;-)

Bud

Reaction score
Thank you for this suggestion.
at this point , gonna do the Bluetooth send ….Casio sells a dongle just for that, And try it out. Yea, I like your idea of two
apps on same Ipad. Just getting started on this project. Might be latency issues, other Bluetooth irritations.
meantime. Lots of value In playing all wood analog non-110 consuming upright ivory tickle box, in bar.
casio goes inside. 9“ deep….cdp-s360. Crazy setup, most patrons won’t notice, but I want extra brain altering sounds .
Onboard Casio sound-set too anEmil.

Ask a Question