How to use a Yamaha PSR 290 for midi input on pc

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to all of this and i wanted to record a song onto my pc with a keyboard. So I got midi to usb cables and plugged them in. When trying to install the Yamaha drivers for the PSR 290, i get to the install wizard then an error pops up saying i have an inadequate processor (i dont think i do). Anything to resolve this error or any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If the MIDI-to-USB cable isn't from Yamaha, then you won't be able to use Yamaha's USB-MIDI driver with it-- and you might not even need to use a USB-MIDI driver at all, because most USB-MIDI interface cables are designed to work with a computer's generic USB drivers. But if you do need to use a USB-MIDI driver, then it will need to be the driver that was written by the manufacturer of the USB-MIDI interface cable for your computer's operating system.

Please note that a lot of the inexpensive USB-MIDI interface cables which flood the online marketplace can end up being problematic for one reason or another, so it's almost always best to spend a bit more money to buy a brand that's known to be reliable.

I think I can safely recommend the iConnectivity mio USB-MIDI interface cable, which a number of Yamaha owners have recently verified as working flawlessly with their older Yamaha keyboards and synths.

If for some reason you're unable to get your existing USB-MIDI cable to work successfully with your PSR-290 and your computer, you might want to consider purchasing the mio instead. It certainly isn't the only solution, but it seems to be one of the least expensive solutions which is known to work reliably.

Ask a Question