How to use EA 7 as a midi keyboard and hearing it from monitors

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a Roland EA7.

I need to use it own sounds but also I want to use my GarageBand, Kontakt etc. plugins and sounds.
So I want to use EA7 as a basic midi controller at the same time.

I connected it to my iMac with usb, and sound card too with another inst. cable.

EA7 sounds are ok, I can record them (own sounds) Pc recognize it as a midi controller but I can't use it, when I try to play; no sounds and won't record.

And the second problem, I need to hear EA7 sounds from my monitors (when playing), just like software sounds.
I don't want to hear EA7's speakers. Now I only hear my song from monitors after record.

Can someone help me please if those are possible? I am really new about arranger keyboards.

Thank you.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the EA7, but if you connect a keyboard to a computer via USB cable for MIDI, plus audio cable for audio, then you should be able to play the keyboard's voices through the computer's speakers if you wish, plus use the keyboard as a MIDI controller to play virtual instruments on the computer.

Note that many DAWs take priority over the sound card, such that you can't hear any other sounds from the computer-- including any audio hardware (such as a keyboard instrument) connected to the sound card-- while you're using the DAW.

And if you're using the keyboard as a MIDI device in the DAW, you might not be able to hear any sound from it, since there are no audio signals in MIDI data.

You would need to set up the keyboard as both a MIDI input device and an audio input source in the DAW, so you can play the keyboard's sounds within the DAW and record them on audio tracks.

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the EA7, but if you connect a keyboard to a computer via USB cable for MIDI, plus audio cable for audio, then you should be able to play the keyboard's voices through the computer's speakers if you wish, plus use the keyboard as a MIDI controller to play virtual instruments on the computer.

Note that many DAWs take priority over the sound card, such that you can't hear any other sounds from the computer-- including any audio hardware (such as a keyboard instrument) connected to the sound card-- while you're using the DAW.

And if you're using the keyboard as a MIDI device in the DAW, you might not be able to hear any sound from it, since there are no audio signals in MIDI data.

You would need to set up the keyboard as both a MIDI input device and an audio input source in the DAW, so you can play the keyboard's sounds within the DAW and record them on audio tracks.
Thanks for answer. But how? The manual says no driver needed. I still get no sounds as midi. No sounds from monitor while playing.

I installed the driver anyway from Roland's website. Nothing changed.

Maybe the solution is a midi keyboard? But the seller told me I can use EA7 as a midi keyboard also.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You said the keyboard is showing up as a MIDI device in the DAW, but what you need to do if you want to hear the keyboard's sounds is choose the keyboard as an audio input, not as a MIDI input.

You said you've used a cable to connect the keyboard to the iMac's sound card. Just to be clear, the keyboard's audio output (headphones jack or something similar) needs to connect to the sound card's audio input (auxiliary in). Then you should be able to go into the DAW's audio setup screen and select which audio input you want to use. I'm not sure how it will be listed on the iMac and in whatever DAW you're using, but it will be the one associated with the auxiliary in jack on the sound card.

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a Roland EA7.

I need to use it own sounds but also I want to use my GarageBand, Kontakt etc. plugins and sounds.

I connected it to my iMac with usb, and sound card too with another inst. cable.

EA7 sounds are ok, I can record them (own sounds) Pc recognize it as a midi controller but I can't use it, when I try to play; no sounds and won't record.

And the second problem, I need to hear EA7 sounds from my monitors (when playing), just like software sounds.
I don't want to hear EA7's speakers. Now I only hear my song from monitors after record.

Can someone help me please if those are possible? I am really new about arranger keyboards.

Thank you.
I may not be able to help. First, your USB host connection to your audio interface box should satisfy most of that to your computer. 2nd, all you may need is just an adapter you would use for your headphones. Only plug just the adapter into your headphone input. Let me know how far off I may be.

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a Roland EA7.

Thank you.
Oops! Forgot to mention on #2, use the headphones coming from your audio interface. Again I am probably way off from what you need. Let me know...

Ask a Question