How to use Korg Kronos’s organ engine to replicate a sound

Reaction score
I listen to a lot of music with Hammond organs, but I am not familiar with the instrument, so when I try to navigate the organ engine on the Kronos to replicate a sound in mind, I get lost. For example, at 9:23 of the song linked, how would I go about getting that sound? This is an open-ended question, so even a link that would help me understand this better would help. But for now, assistance on getting that specific example would be extremely appreciated.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
One possible approach might be to record a short section of the song, where the desired organ sound is clearly heard but there are no other instruments or vocals to get in the way. Then you might be able to examine that short recording in a program or plugin that can do a Fast Fourier Transform (or FFT) analysis and display which frequencies are detected in the sound sample, as well as how strong each of the frequencies is. Then you could try to use that information to set the organ drawbars according to which frequencies (or harmonics) are present and how dominant each one is. I don't know how successful that would be, and the results might vary in reliability depending on how much distortion, overdrive, crosstalk, etc., are present. But it would be a start. :)

Reaction score
Welcome.

If I have you right there is a great sound throughout then at the time you quote to me there is another layered instrument sound above the organ sound.

I would use the drawbars (as per the video in Gary’s post) to get the base sound and save that as a Program/Combi/Registration (whatever Korg calls them on a Kronos)

Then I would add the second sound on top of the base sound and save that as a new Program/Combi/Reg etc then it is a case of switching between them during the performance and Kong’s SST will ensure a smooth transition.

Ask a Question