How to use sustain pedal?

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Never been taught proper method of its use.
I rarely use my sustain pedal because I am self taught and only ever learnt right hand melody playing treble cleff and left hand chords playing along with auto ACMP.
I am happy with my results and all my tunes sound okay. The DSP seems to add in echo, vibrato and possibly sustains the notes in some cases. So there has been no point in me using the pedal.
I have developed a bad habit maybe?
I have tried using the sustain pedal sometimes and not knowing proper method I never get it sounding uniform. Sometimes it works and sometimes it seems to have no effect.

When is the correct time to use it and how should it be used?
Do I press and hold it down or do I tap it?
Should I use it on full continuous whole beats only?
Should I press the pedal before striking the note or during the note or at the end of the note?

I have tried all ways and sometimes it works and sometimes it has no effect to the sound whatsoever. It frustrates me so I discard the whole idea.
So I am wondering what is correct and proper useage.

Cheers Ray

Reaction score
Ray.

Do check with the manual of your keyboard as sustain may affect the ACMP, you may have to set it up so that it works on the right split if that is what you seek.

It does come in handy if the next note(s) you want to play are some distance away or they require a change of hand position so it is very worthwhile perfecting using sustain.

The technique is to press and hold the pedal a fraction before you press the key, then momentarily release and press and hold the fraction of a second before you press the next note. It does take some practice to get it right.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
A sustain pedal is really meant to be used with piano voices and similar voices that decay quickly when you release a key. Electric pianos, clavinets, even guitar voices.

Not so much with continuous voices like organs or strings or wind instruments.

Like Col mentioned you should make certain when you use sustain it is not set to hold the accompaniment voices in keyboard splits.

As for when exactly to kick it in, it depends on the song and if you are playing a rolling chord or abrupt fingering changes as when the song demands it.

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Ray, have you learned nothing?

OBVIOUSLY the correct way to use a sustain pedal is to gaffer tape it to the floor!

WOW! Give me a break!
I am just at basic stage learning! Taping to the floor is far too advanced for me.
Ray!

Oh! btw . .
PS . . thanks Gary and Col for the good advice. . much appreciated.
Another dude also responded to me off-line and gave me some excellent intelligent guideance too! Thanks heaps for that PB!

:)

Ask a Question