I don't know why this is making me so nervous.

Reaction score
HA. I feel that's the best title because I never post on forums, I usually just stalk them. BUT, I made a promise to myself to really work on my keyboard this year and so here I am :)

SUMMARY: If anyone has any suggestions for books, videos, etc. or tips on making the switch from classical piano to keyboard, I am so all ears. (or tips/tricks for my Korg SV-1 Vintage)

LONG FORM:I have a Korg SV-1 (73 key version) hooked up to a Vox tube amp. It's incredible- and it's been a little lonely this past year. I started Suzuki when I was 2 1/2 (my childhood development was astronomical, my adult development...eh. haha). I loved piano, and took lessons until I graduated high school. Except I was a boisterous little kid, who was obsessed with singing and musicals. So, it's possible that my piano development was more like a roller coaster than a nice jog up a hill. I became a pretty good pianist, but never learned how to understand the piano as an accompanying instrument even with my voice. So fast forward to now. I really want to learn how to play my keyboard. But...there are SO MANY OPTIONS. Piano has 1. 4 if you count pedals. My keyboard has like eighteenninetybajillion. Also, sidenote: I'm an Aspie so "just playing around until it started to make sense" is not something I do well.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I can't recommend any specific book on MIDI and Synthesis, but Amazon has many available.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_scat_283155_ln?rh=n:283155,k:midi&keywords=midi&ie=UTF8&qid=1358131970&scn=283155&h=6aa38751ee59ddc4800b21a4310050916f7a011f

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_scat_283155_ln?rh=n:283155,k:synthesizer&keywords=synthesizer&ie=UTF8&qid=1358132082&scn=283155&h=472d67afce573671f6acf58f020613b05988bedd

My advice is to scan thru the listings and order a couple of books that catch your eye on the subjects and start doing some heavy reading.

Also try and read your Korg Manuals cover to cover.

http://www.korg.com/SupportPage.aspx?productid=562

If you thought it was hard mastering your PC skills, you ain't seen nothing yet. MIDI manuals read like phone books because keyboards are not only musical instruments, they're little computers with 6 line LCD displays and custom operating systems. ;)

I'm not trying to scare you, (even though I'm scaring myself) but mastering a MIDI keyboard is like learning to free associate a rap song in Swahili.

Frankly the more I learn, the more I realize I know nothing ;)

Persevere and you shall reap rich rewards. Falter along the course and ye shall perish :D :D :D

Reaction score
You might check out this book:
Craig Anderton's Home Recording for Musicians

It covers a lot of the basics on electronic instruments, midi, and topics you need to understand. YMMV Don

Reaction score
Hi Roosef
I am going to try first with your title.
You are not on you're own with being nervous about posting on a forum. I get something like it every time I post. I tend to post music that I create and try and answer questions where I can. When I post something like this I tend to worry about things like "I Hope I have Not Offended Anyone" "I Hope That I Have Explained My View Well Enough" etc. There are a range of insecurities. not least of all is as soon as you have done it, the thing is out there and it is public.
It does get easier as you go along and you will also find that you can thrive on the people's feedback.
On to the second part which is more difficult for me because I am self taught and you are already getting some good advice here already,is which direction do you want to go in.
Presumably from what you have said so far you read Music and used to like musicals. Is that still the case because you are probably going to need to focus on what you want out of it.
A good source of focusing on what you want could be on youTube for example if you are interested in modern jazz you can find examples and even excellent tutorials as well.
as far as the eighteenninetybajillion options go I will leave you in the hands of people here who can probably help you far better than I can.
Hope you get to enjoy the interactive part of posting.
Barry

Ask a Question