I Forgot How To Read Music!

Reaction score
As lame as it sounds, I opened up a music book this evening and I can't remember how to read music.
Yes, I can struggle away at the basic notes, and it's painful, but I forgot a lot.

Hard to believe I have my grade 6 in piano eh?

Is there a site with some tools where if I can play a virtual keyboard, and it automatically notes the note I'm playing on paper? Know what I mean?
I figure with all this new computer stuff out today I can learn what I forgot by myself.

Can you guys point me to a few helpful links?

Thanks a lot!
AJ

Reaction score
I'd get a book or find a website (I don't know of any; surely you can use google to find one yourself) that does things in the normal way (this note maps to this key), not the reverse way that you're suggesting (if I play this key, what shows up on paper). Unless you're trying to write down what you can already play, the former method will be more valuable.

Reaction score
Is there a site with some tools where if I can play a virtual keyboard, and it automatically notes the note I'm playing on paper?

You can play your real keyboard and have th notes you play recored and displed as music notation. There are MANY ways to make this happen. The problem is deciding in which one.

But is that the bet way to learn? No. Go back and work through one of those "Piano Method" books. Likely you will moe through them very quickly. re-learn the same why you learned the first time. Don't skip.

Reaction score
I would probably sugest getting guitar pro, since it has a keyboard of where and when to press a key. I have aswell been playing keyboard a while back but had a pause for a few years, but through guitar pro i have been able to get it all back.

Reaction score
Anvil Studio can do this: you click on a virtual keyboard and the notes are displayed on a score.

There's also Note Attack : an arcade game for people who are learning to read music...

Thanks for that one! :D I was actually very close to start a thread on the forums to ask for that kind of program :D Really helpful :) Thanks again xD

I would probably sugest getting guitar pro, since it has a keyboard of where and when to press a key. I have aswell been playing keyboard a while back but had a pause for a few years, but through guitar pro i have been able to get it all back.
I would definately NOT recommend that. I've been using Guitar Pro for quite some time, "cheating" to learn the new songs, and this has pretty much ruined my reading skills, and is one of the main reasons to why I needed that Note Attack program.

I'd say: Stay Away From Guitar Pro!

Ask a Question