I have a legacy keyboard and a total noob question

Reaction score
I bought an Evolution MK-249C keyboard on the cheap from a friend thinking it was like a Casio electone keyboard.

I wanted the keyboard for playing and not so much for composing or recording and I thought that I could just hook it up to my iMac and play it with Garage Band.

I hooked up the USB cable to my mac and the LED display lights up with a "01" and the keyboard can be detected by the Mac System Report for what it is.

However it isn't detected by the Audio Midi Setup app nor Garage Band.

Is there such a thing like a voicebox that I can put between the keyboard and the computer or an amplifier?

Grateful for any help with this.

Fabian

Attachments

• evolution-mk-249c-451018.jpg
    evolution-mk-249c-451018.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 277

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hi, I'm not an Apple guy but basically what you need is to install a VSTi host and a few VSTs to get sound happening on the fly.

Either that or else pick up a hardware MIDI sound module like an old Roland Soundcanvas or a Waldorf Blofeld or Streichfett or a Korg Triton Rack or a Yamaha Motif Rack module.

These will play sound directly thru an amp as long as your keyboard has bona fide MIDI ports and not simply USB ports.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not an Apple guy but basically what you need is to install a VSTi host and a few VSTs to get sound happening on the fly.

Either that or else pick up a hardware MIDI sound module like an old Roland Soundcanvas or a Waldorf Blofeld or Streichfett or a Korg Triton Rack or a Yamaha Motif Rack module.

These will play sound directly thru an amp as long as your keyboard has bona fide MIDI ports and not simply USB ports.

Gary ;)

Thanks very much for those suggestions Gary. I'll do some research on them and yes, the keyboard does come with a MIDI port and cable.

Ask a Question