I have a question about how chords appear on sheet music.

Reaction score
I'm brand new to piano. I've been learning some very simple songs like old McDonald. I'm learning from a couple online sites and poking around. So I jumped way ahead to chords yesterday. I learned the basics and started practicing them. Here's my question. What kind of notation are used to describe a chord on sheet music. I've looked around and haven't seen anything like what was described in the video. Like this. Fmaj Will I find notation like that on sheet music when the composer what that chord played or something else?

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
In song books, you'll find both chord symbols written above the music as well as the notes in the music itself. Generally, the chord symbols are simplifications of the actual harmonic structure of the music.

If you really want to learn to play, do not rely upon the chord symbols. Look at the written music.

(Also, most piano music does not include chord symbols. Generally, only song books contain chord symbols so that the guitar player can strum along.)

As for how the chord will be written, that's a very different question. If you get a decent church hymnal, the music will be written in four parts, with the melody being the top note, and the other three notes for the alto, tenor, and bass. All four notes make up the chord. (Unfortunately, much church music isn't written to be easily played on a piano. The stretches between the notes are often too large, and a simple right hand = treble clef / left hand = bass clef playing style may not always work. Playing it on an organ is easier, since you throw the bass to the pedals, and now you've only got three notes to play on the keyboard.) Simplistic piano music will have the right hand playing the melody, and the left hand playing the chord.

Basically, the chord is part of the written notes. Generally (and there are plenty of exceptions), the chord is all the notes that are lined up vertically on one system of music. OR the chord is the arpegiated set of notes. Notes can (and often do) include the melody note.

If you want to learn to play, don't rely on the chord symbols. Don't even look at the chord symbols for years. Play the written notes, and only look at the chord symbols when you've gotten good enough to improvise an accompaniment and you've learned a reasonable amount of harmony.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
What Fred said! :)

I might add that the subject of chords can be rather complex. In the simplest of terms we could say that there are basically only two types of chords-- major and minor, depending on whether the chord is based on a major scale/key or a minor scale/key-- but of course saying that something is so doesn't make it correct or true!

In actuality there are dozens of types of chords, created by taking a basic major or minor chord and adding or subtracting notes, or by moving some of the notes up or down ("augmenting" or "diminishing" them).

And besides that, there are different ways that chords can be played-- a chord can be played using different "inversions," and the notes of a chord can also be played in an "arpeggiated" style.

If you try to learn it all too quickly your head will explode (just kidding!-- I think?), so my advice is to start by focusing on the basic major and minor chords and learning about their inversions.

Reaction score
What kind of notation are used to describe a chord on sheet music.

tumblr_o9iu6lTMxq1ual3guo1_540.jpg

Fred Coulter

Reaction score
As a proponent of notation, I'll add the following (looking only at the second and third system), referring to each of the circled pieces of notation by the red letter below it. Chords are not just displayed above the music, they're inherently part of the written music.
upload_2016-6-29_9-8-20.png

A is a D major chord, root position. The second D (an octave lower) is part of the same chord.

Between A and B is a passing note. It's not part of either chord, but provides a little bit of movement connecting the two chords. In this case, it's an E.

B is an F major chord, also in root position. In this case, you just hold the chord for the entire measure.

C appears to be a much more complicated piece of music. However, it's really all just an F minor chord, also in root position. First you play the chord, then you arpeggiate (roll) the chord as a triplet against the first two beats of the measure. The half note in the second half of the measure is still part of the F minor chord, just a note that wasn't initially played. And the F at the end of the measure is similar to the D in beat three of the first measure I looked at. Part of the chord, but dropping an octave cause it sounds nice.

D is incredibly simple. It's a C major chord, root position, that's just held for two measures. The only interesting part of the measure is that there's a passing tone in the base at the end of the second measure, the D.

E is also just an E major chord, root position. I don't know what it's doing after the first measure since it wasn't included in the scan. But if you're following the score, you're going to hold it through at least the beginning of the next measure. It wouldn't surprise me that it's also a two measure sequence just like D,

I keep saying "root" position. Basically, a root position chord is one in which the lowest note played is the root of the chord. A C in a C major chord. An F# in an F# dim chord. Etc. A lot of popular music likes root position chords, which is why bass players hate the rest of us.

But the chord doesn't have to stack up with the root at the bottom. For example, a C major chord has a C, and E, and a G in it. If the bass player plays a C, then it's root position. If the bass player plays an E, then it's a first inversion. (You can do this on a piano by playing an E, the G above it, and the C above that. It's still a C major chord, but it has a different feel.) If the bass player plays a G, then it's a second inversion. (Again, do this on a piano by playing a G, the C above it, and the E above that. It's still a C major chord, but the feel is different, again.)

Why bass players? Because generally they play the lowest note. An open E string on a standard bass guitar is the bottom E on a piano keyboard. Very seldom will a pianist use the notes below that E, and other than pipe organs, I don't think any other instrument goes lower. (And if the pianist keeps stealing the bass from the bass player, the bass player can respond with a five or six string bass. At which point the pianist is going to need a Bosendorfer, and the band's budget just got blown away.)

As for how chords are written, that's an interesting question. In popular music, the three versions of the written chord are C, C/E, and C/G. (There's an example on the first line of music.) In classical music it gets more complicated. In most cases rather than starting off by saying it's a C chord, it refers to it by the scale position of the chord in the key of the piece. (And may include the effects of modulation, etc.) If the piece was in the key of C, then the C major chord would be referred to as I. (That's a capital roman numeral 1.) But if the C major chord being looked at was chord D in the scanned music above, it would be referred to as III. (that's a capital roman numeral 3, since the piece is written in A minor and C is a third above A.) Minor chords are lower case roman numerals. There are multiple ways of referring to inversions, which is probably WAY to long to write about here. Also, without my books in front of me, I may get it wrong. (I haven't even started studying figured bass which throws more complications onto the picture.)

I've always wondered about the guitar tab in written popular music. There are multiple ways of playing the same chord on a guitar. But the tab is almost always the base position of the chord. How long does it take a guitar player to learn the fingerings of the chords? I suspect that for the vast majority of guitar players, the tab (which indicates where to hold down each string) is ignored, and they go straight to the symbol, and then play the chord where it sounds best. Seems like a waste of ink. But what do I know.

And after I wrote all this, I actually looked at the music, and realized that I know the song. (I saw them live on Long Island when they went on "tour" for the album.) As is usual for them, the written music tends to not display what makes their music so great.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I was in the deep end and didn't even know it. I think I'll dog paddle back to the shallows where I belong for a while.

Fred Coulter

Reaction score
Honestly, most beginning piano players start off just reading the notation. They don't formally learn what the chords they've been playing are for years. They're just playing written music.

Later, as they get older and are playing more complicated music, they learn the various chords and chord progressions. Of course, this may be as much due to the fact that most beginning piano students are small children, and they're learning music to play traditional (classical) scores.

If they are learning jazz instead, they'll have to learn progressions much earlier, because improvisation is fundamental to jazz performance. And if you don't know the progressions, you'll probably not fit into the song.

I'd recommend focusing primarily on playing the notes that are written (both hands), and then after some time learn the theory behind it all. That's when you'll really understand the chords, the harmonic structure, etc. And that's when the music will sing.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I was in the deep end and didn't even know it. I think I'll dog paddle back to the shallows where I belong for a while.
Haha . . I like this analogy:p
Don't worry ricky, I'm with you on the waters edge. Just with my toes in . . .

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Actually, playing 3 and 4 finger chords with left hand on kb with acmp. Is the only way i can play with the right hand following the voice treble cleff. I see many youtube clips of keyboardists doing it this way.
This works for me.
Having learnt now how to play the 3 finger chords with left hand, the fingers just automatically seem to know where to go. That works fine for all of the common chords; maj, min, #, b, 7th etc. But sometimes when i come accross a weird chord like D13 . . I say "wtf!" I would just play D7 in this case and it usually sounds cool!

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
It's okay to change the chord to suit yourself . . Isn't it?
I often play a E7 instead of E because the inversion of E7 is easier fingering.
Also if (for example) a chord of say Gm is required for say 4 bars, I might change it to Gm7 for 2 of the bars. Just a little variation and sometimes can enhance the tune.:)

Reaction score
Also if (for example) a chord of say Gm is required for say 4 bars, I might change it to Gm7 for 2 of the bars. Just a little variation and sometimes can enhance the tune.:)
Ray, no-one will take you out the back and shoot you - do what you like and what sounds good to your ear.

Just bear in mind that it might sound slightly different to how the composer originally intended.

Also - if playing in a band, it's helpful if you're all playing the same thing (most of the time).

Fred Coulter

Reaction score

Welcome to jazz, where reharmonizing old songs is part of the appeal. (Also, the written chord symbols and even the score may not reflect accurately what's really going on. You may be more accurately playing the song than the music showed.)

Ask a Question