I Think Workstations Are Just Not For Me

Reaction score
I don't know about you guys but I have found that it takes some time to find out what your likes and dislikes are regarding different brands of keyboards, whether you prefer Workstations over Stage Pianos or hardware Vs software. After playing keyboards now for about 6 years I have learnt a lot about myself. I really don't get along with technology even after trying to apply myself and persevere with my Korg Nautilus I find it hard work and laborious I have also found out that I don't really like arranger keyboards either but music should be fun, right?

I went down to my local music store about a week ago now and I stumbled upon the Yamaha YC88. Well, this changed my opinion straight away! I loved it! being able to craft my sounds on the fly without delving into countless screens and trying to press small areas of the screen with your nail... well... THIS is what I wanted!

This whole approach has really opened my eyes and I really feel this is the way for me to go.

The YC88 has a great organ, wonderful pianos, and a decent synth section. When I was at the store I also saw a King Korg that just blew my mind... and again I realized the immediacy of being able to turn a knob and craft your sound in real time. So I think that is the way I am going to go... Yamaha YC and a 61-key King Korg on top!

I have always had a keen interest in analog synths but was held back by so much menu diving. I like the King Korg because it gives you many presets too.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I envy those who can play piano. Those 88 DP's as well the 61 king korg you mentioned would be wonderful to play and produce magnificent sounds. Yes indeed!
I got lazy when I started out. I chose to learn how to play right hand melody only. I never learned to play bass chords. Bass cleff staff is wasted on me. However I chose to learn the triad chords to apply to ACMP's. Therefore workstations are my desire.
Now that I am living my 8th decade, to change my ways would be too time consuming.
Cheers
Ray

Reaction score
I envy those who can play piano. Those 88 DP's as well the 61 king korg you mentioned would be wonderful to play and produce magnificent sounds. Yes indeed!
I got lazy when I started out. I chose to learn how to play right hand melody only. I never learned to play bass chords. Bass cleff staff is wasted on me. However I chose to learn the triad chords to apply to ACMP's. Therefore workstations are my desire.
Now that I am living my 8th decade, to change my ways would be too time consuming.
Cheers
Ray
I totally understand Ray! I only learned bass in the left a few years ago as I started out on organs so played full-note chords in the left with bass pedals for bass.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
YC88 and King Korg should make a great combo, but another synth you should look at instead of the Korg is a Sequential Prophet. I own a Rev2 and a Take 5 and sound manipulation is simply amazing. There's a lot to be said for one knob per function and minimal menu diving when you are deeply into the groove. And the sounds are pure 80's analog goodness. No digital artifacts in the output channels.

No disrespect to @CowboyNQ but the Korg is about a decade old now and much better true analog has come along since the days of mainstream VA synths.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
YC88 and King Korg should make a great combo, but another synth you should look at instead of the Korg is a Sequential Prophet. I own a Rev2 and a Take 5 and sound manipulation is simply amazing. There's a lot to be said for one knob per function and minimal menu diving when you are deeply into the groove. And the sounds are pure 80's analog goodness. No digital artifacts in the output channels.

No disrespect to @CowboyNQ but the Korg is about a decade old now and much better true analog has come along since the days of mainstream VA synths.

Gary ;)
Being someone that is very new to the Synth world what would you say the Rev2 can do that the King Korg cant? I ask because I feel the King Korg would fill my needs and is cheaper BUT if I am missing something big regarding sound then I might be swayed!

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
No disrespect to @happyrat1 but horses for courses. I have seen Paul playing his Korg live and the sound is sensational and up to date considering it is playing 70's and 80's music.
But Gary, you are most likely correct in your analysis and knowledge of modern day synths, so as I said no disrespect man!
However, A decade old keyboard and its technology is way far from being obsolete.
Chris was blown away with the Korg and it fits he needs (so he says).
I would imagine huge price difference between 2023 units and 2013 units.
As I said "horses for courses"
Personally, I don't care much for the music of today and I would certainly consider 10 year old sounds and styles to save maybe $1000 bucks.
Sting Ray

Reaction score
I too get what Gary is saying and I think if you are putting together the type of music he does then the Korg King Korg probably won't cut it. Although I have a keen interest in synth sounds it's only really from a standpoint that I want to recreate songs from the 80s/90s with some exceptions but not many. If you are wanting to create some massive soundscape from scratch then maybe the King Korg would not be for you. I am certainly with you Ray regarding modern music... actually, there seems to be very little "music" coming out these days full stop!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Rev2 has 8 banks of 128, 4 Factory and 4 User. It has an awesome modulation matrix and there's no menu diving beyond one level.

My experience with Korg is that you generally have to go 3 layers deep into the menus to accomplish anything useful.

One knob per function is definitely what you want for tweaking and designing sounds.

It also has a brilliant little 128 step sequencer built in that makes accompaniment a breeze.

All this also applies to the Take 5, which, despite its small size is a hairy beast to play.

All I can say is that I've played my share of VA synths in the past and none of them can hold a candle to a Sequential synth.

It truly is a player's instrument and well worth the money.

Gary ;)

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Korgs also have a habit of requiring the installation of very sketchy drivers in order to use them with a computer.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You may also want to consider a Hydrasynth 73 key model if you want a modern, well designed VA synth. It also is very much a player's synth.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually I've never messed with a Nord. The electro is a highly rated synth but it's still VA and the stage and the electro are too pricey to gamble on without a test drive.

Sequential's Prophet line though, has been a mainstay of the industry since the 80's and the models I own are among their most reasonably priced offerings.

I can say that of all the synths I've tried over the years, the Rev2, Take5, Hydra and the Kurzweil are the main workhorses I've hung onto.

Between the arps and built in sequencers you can build complex phrases in seconds and create spontaneously within minutes.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Actually I've never messed with a Nord. The electro is a highly rated synth but it's still VA and the stage and the electro are too pricey to gamble on without a test drive.

Sequential's Prophet line though, has been a mainstay of the industry since the 80's and the models I own are among their most reasonably priced offerings.

I can say that of all the synths I've tried over the years, the Rev2, Take5, Hydra and the Kurzweil are the main workhorses I've hung onto.

Between the arps and built in sequencers you can build complex phrases in seconds and create spontaneously within minutes.

Gary ;)
My wife, her sister, and I got into watching Stranger Things on Netflix a little while ago. As it is set in the 80s they play a lot of cool synth-based music so now all of a sudden they think my keyboards are really cool lol... Might have a couple of Synthettes on my hand now haha. The more the merrier I like the idea of my wife and sister-in-law forcing me to buy new boards!! what a result!! lol

Reaction score
Chris,

Here are some videos that demonstrate the capability of the KK well.

I’ve owned one since 2013. Still tour with it.

Happy to answer any questions you might have about the pros and cons as best I can.

Ask a Question