If you were going to join a classic rock band

Reaction score
If you were going to try out for A classic rock band and had no idea what they play, what songs would you be sure to know to ensure a good rehearsal. I guess what im asking is for some standards that a band would most likely know. My first thought would be sweet home alabama. any others you can think of? dont be afraid to add a whole list. My intent is to learn all of them.

Reaction score
Roadhouse Blues
Old Time Rock And Roll
Free Bird

Some others may occur to me.

But if they've got their act together, they should provide you with a list of songs (and keys to play 'em in).

Roadhouse Blues is usually in E, Free Bird in G (at least that's the starting chord), and even though I learned OTR&R in G for some reason, most bands do it in E.

Reaction score
Eagle Rock
The Gambler
Stuck in the Middle
American Pie
Hotel California
I shot the Sheriff
Bad to the Bone
My Sharona
Summertime Blues
Chery Chery
Black Betty
Born to be Wild
Eye of the Tiger
You really got Me
Nutbush
Brown Eyed Girl

Reaction score
The Blues. If you can't jam to 12-bar, you'll have a hard time. Learn a few licks and blues scales in common keys (E A G D) would be my advice. It may be that they ask you to just jam along to see how you fit in with the band. That's what I would do if I was holding the audition.

Reaction score
In a Gadda da Vida
Smoke on the Water
Early Rush
Doobie Brothers type stuff (as Mourndark said, learning blues scales would probably help immensely here).
Jefferson Airplane/Starship
Moody Blues
Deep Purple

That's older classic rock but that's some good stuff to run with methinks :)

Reaction score
If you were going to try out for A classic rock band and had no idea what they play, what songs would you be sure to know to ensure a good rehearsal. I guess what im asking is for some standards that a band would most likely know. My first thought would be sweet home alabama. any others you can think of? dont be afraid to add a whole list. My intent is to learn all of them.

Get their songlist ahead of time - post it here & I can tell you which ones I've played over the years (as many others here in this forum could as well, I'm sure)... I'm 44, been playing paid gigs since my teens - wedding bands, bar bands, club bands, duos, trios, solo, etc... I've seen a lot of songs come and go - here's the ones that've seemed to stick, the rock/pop/motown songs I've probably played the most over the years:

Brown Eyed Girl
Old Time Rock & Roll
Honky Tonk Women
Sweet Home Alabama
Pride & Joy
Roadhouse Blues
Takin' Care of Business
American Girl
Born to be Wild
Sweet Caroline
Play That Funky Music (if they don't have a sax player, call up a good horn section patch and learn the horn parts!)
Mustang Sally
Ain't Too Proud to Beg
Get Ready
Signed Sealed Delivered
Sugar Pie Honey Bunch
My Girl

But your best bet is to ask them which ones you they want you to be prepared to play - maybe 5 or 6... learn 'em cold - and then at the audition they'll probably run most of those down and then ask you to pick a few addt'l ones.

Learn the piano part for Only the Good Die Young or Scenes from an Italian Restaurant by Billy Joel - to really impress... of course, that only works if they have someone in the band that sings those tunes - unless you can (I do)! :D

Reaction score
chances are you'll end up playing 12 bar for an hour. I wouldn't worry about learning songs unless they specifically tell you which one(s). Why not phone them and ask?

Ask a Question