I'm disappearing for a little while

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Starting Thursday, I won't be reading this forum for about a week and a half. I'm going to miss the scintillating conversations. But I'm going to be unavailable. Probably.

OK, I'm bragging. After almost thirty years of married life, my wife and I are taking a real vacation. We're taking a Viking River Cruise down the Rhine River. Sitting on the veranda with a bottle of wine, watching Europe float by. Thursday is the travel day, arriving in Amsterdam Friday morning.

Unfortunately, I have to return to the real work the beginning of August.

Reaction score
We
Starting Thursday, I won't be reading this forum for about a week and a half. I'm going to miss the scintillating conversations. But I'm going to be unavailable. Probably.

OK, I'm bragging. After almost thirty years of married life, my wife and I are taking a real vacation. We're taking a Viking River Cruise down the Rhine River. Sitting on the veranda with a bottle of wine, watching Europe float by. Thursday is the travel day, arriving in Amsterdam Friday morning.

Unfortunately, I have to return to the real work the beginning of August.
So jealous of u:)...we went to Europe earlier this year, almost booked that Rhine river cruise, then found out kids not allowed on it :(. Went on road trip in EU instead....Enjoy your cruise!

Fred Coulter

Reaction score
Didn't know that kids weren't allowed. That's not an issue for us now, but if we ever get grandkids...

(Living near Disney in Central Florida, avoidance of children on vacation is a good thing.)

Our daughters are 21 and 24, so they wouldn't qualify as children anyway (despite what my wife thinks). But they've got their own lives right now. My eldest is packing to move to Connecticut to further her career (and think about grad school), why my youngest sang an opera in Bulgaria earlier this summer and is singing a second one in Texas on Tuesday. So it's just mommy and daddy time.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Wunderbar Fred. Ich wunsch dich eine gute Reise!!!

In case you're wondering, that's German for "I wish you a good trip."

Get used to having a translate app handy while you're there and maybe see if you can get your hands on a burner SIMM card so you can use your cell over there without roaming charges.

Lots of festivals and parties happening over in Europe right now too.

Here's hoping you and the missus have a blast.

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Best wishes for a great holiday Fred.
Cruising is the best way to relax. We have done a few cruise ships downunder and I feel the River cruises would be similiar.
Plenty of food and music galore.
Bon Voyage:cool:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself over here in Europe Fred. Remember all the best keyboardists were from Germany.

Not sure about that. I'm proud of my German heritage as much as the next guy but Rachmaninoff was a Russian, Chopin was a Pole and even Mozart was Austrian :D :D :D

Gary ;)

John Garside

JohnG
Reaction score
Whilst you're passing, give my best regards to Bonn. You might stop there for a short while, some trips do.
I lived near there for just over ten years in a tiny village called Altendorf, not far from Meckenheim.
Make sure you at least try the local brew from Cologne called Kölsch, a kind of Pils lager, Gaffel Kölsch was my particular favourite, served ice cold at my local "zur Post".
Along with a great Jäger Schnitzel and BratKartoffeln.
Try to get hold of some red wine from the Ahr River valley, "Ahrwein". IMHO it's VERY good.
It's a very beautiful part of the world and I still think about my time there a lot.
Walks down by the river and in the forests.
We lived in an area with huge fields of apples, pears, plums and cherries.
The blossoms in spring time were spectacular.
But above all ... enjoy!
John.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds fantastic! Enjoy your vacation :).

If you get a chance to post some pics of the trip when you're back, it would be fantastic to see what it was like - it sounds like great fun :D.

Fred Coulter

Reaction score
I'll be posting to FB while I'm there, as well as attempting a blog. I'm brining a 360 camera, so the pictures might be interesting.

Ask a Question