Im new here, gots questions

Reaction score
ok, so i would like to learn how to play the keyboard. Im more interested in the sounds it can make, and not really grand piano. although it wouldnt hurt to have it. i have been doing research and was wondering if you can be self taught for keyboard? How easy is it to pick up a keyboard and just start playing something easily? 1 thing im kind of worried, but maybe with time, is my fingers. its really hard to have my hands do two different things at the same time, and playing this instrument demands it.(or is very useful with it)
So, im more interested in being self taugh, and im wondering how easy can you teach your self? or would i need a teacher? Is it really easy to just pick up and play? and the hands, it'll take time right?

Reaction score
While it is possible to teach yourself the piano (especially with all of the latest "learn piano fast" techniques being advertised everywhere), the vast majority of self learners end up learning bad technique that can often take years to undo.

While it may not seem like a very big deal now, knowing which finger to use on what key, when is one of the most important things a budding pianist can learn. It sets up everything you'll do later, from chord comping to playing solos.

It would be so worth taking some lessons from the start, just to get yourself off on the right foot. It doesn't have to be forever, but some good basics will stay with you.

Time is the big investment here, as unless someone is a piano savant, lots of practice is what makes you play well.

Good luck and enjoy this trip you've started.

p.s. Just an FYI, I'm not a piano teacher, nor do I play one on TV.

Reaction score
I can't recommend starting off self-taught. Not only are there bad habits you can pick up without someone more experienced watching, you can also waste a lot of time by focusing on the wrong things.

If you're a complete beginner to music, you'll need a solid foundation (note that solid doesn't necessarily mean taking years of classical lessons, although that might not be bad) before you'll really be able to pick something up.

It's possible to achieve really basic skill on any instrument; it takes years of focused practice to become good, and doing that in a self-taught manner makes things much harder.

Reaction score
ok, so it is possible. just i might not be as well. Well, i was thinking about getting a cheap keyboard for now just to see if i like it or not. I dont want to just go and get an expensive keyboard and go into lessons right of the bat...So, i was thinking of just getting a cheap keyboard like the ones that can teach you. Itll be just to see if i really am willing to get into it. So i was thinking of 2 keyboards. there is a yamaha one that is $100 but it shows you notes and expects you to find the keys. There is this other one that is by casio. This one will show you what keys to hit because it lights up. this one is $150. i am leaning towards the casio 1. I have done research and heard that casios are more like toys. So, what do you guys think?

Reaction score
I can't offer any opinion of any of the "self teaching" keyboards, as I've had no experience with any of them.

I also haven't used any of the "home" or personal line of keyboards either.

I would suggest if you're at all serious about learning, that you should at the minimum invest in a keyboard with weighted or semiweighted keys. At the bottom end of the price range, they be had reasonably inexpensively. Also, check on the used market as you'll certainly get more bang for your buck.

Good luck

Reaction score
'

I don't wish to be disrespectful, but this post, to me, smacks of the "I want it NOW"
generation.

Technology does everything for you, so you don't have to put any hard work in...

I mean.... keys that light up to show you what to 'press' - come on, is this for real???

And YES - they are toys!

Ask a Question