I'm the one with all the questions...

Reaction score
Hi. It's about time I introduce myself. I'm Mozartian because I love playing Mozart pieces on my clarinet. Real name is Jerry. My mom played piano and church organ and gave me a few lessons when I was young until I told her I really don't like piano. I haven't played piano since. Oh well, at least she didn't act crushed.

But I have always been attracted to the keyboards and owned a cheapie or two over the years but never had time to do much with them. Now retired, I do have time. I am inspired by those who play by ear. I have been excessively square with the clarinet, always relying on the written notes, no need to learn chords and progressions, which is the heart of music. Seeing my older brother improvise on keyboards playing honky tonk and rock n roll suggests that it may be possible for me to do my own version of improv. So, I intend to use the keyboard as a means to break out of my box, learn some chords and progressions, and grow into at least a portion of the capacity of the instrument I have chosen.

The keyboard I chose is the Casio WK7500. Why? Because 1) The variety of voicings, most pretty decent. 2) The good quality and variety of the organ voicings and the flexibilty via the drawbars. 3) The 76 keys and decent keybed. 4) The mike input for recording my clarinet with midi backgrounds or whatever I eventually create. 5) The excellent reviews plus comments about it on this forum.

Anticipating the keyboards' arrival within the next few days, I have researched many software assisted and internet keyboard/piano teaching programs and decided on eMedia's Piano and Keyboard Method purchased on Amazon for $49. I thought that Piano Marvel and Playground Sessions were also quite good but the one I chose fit my interests better. I've also picked up a small book called "How to Play Keyboards" by Roger Evans that provides a quick start on using "Casio Chords" to begin playing simple melodies.

I'm currently researching chord books. A couple that caught my eye that appear to fit my immediate needs are A Piano Chord Book You Can Actually Use and Piano Chords and Progressions.

And for later on, I'm anticipating downloading midi files to integrate with both learning the keyboard and improving my clarinet skills. Having reviewed the features of several notation and midi programs that appear to suit my needs best, it appears Notation Musician or Notation Composer would be the best fit. Why? For me, the user interface is more intuitive than several others, they both have great practice features, and Composer has the additional capability of scanning sheet music and converting them to midi files. Why would I want to do this? To create accompaniment for practice on the clarinet and to practice parts on the keyboard. But all of this midi stuff is several months away after I get some keyboard basics under my belt.

But its a plan.

Thank you guys for all the great tips and advice, your enthusiasm for the topic of keyboards, and your willing spirits wanting to help others.

Reaction score
Welcome, and you have sound reasons for your choices so far. I'm retired as well, and spend my time either riding my motorcycles (usually shooting video) or composing/programming/recording music using Anvil Studio and MultiTrack Studio (both began as free downloads) and my three keyboards and two sound modules. Really is enjoyable!

Best of luck! ;)

Reaction score
You're most welcome Mozartian - look forward to hearing about your thoughts of the WK when you receive it.

THe Y-man
DSCF5035.jpg

Here's the setup. Yes, that is an ironing board its sitting on, fully adjustable height. Weight capacity about one pound more than the keyboard weighs. And yes, that is my garage. Too bad I don't have an Apple computer - I could have Garage Band.

In the four hours I played with the 7500 I did the following:
  • Hooked up the sustain pedal
  • Hooked the 7500 into a Klipsch powered computer speaker (great sound!)
  • Played through Grado headphones (not quite as good as the speakers - can't "feel" the bass)
  • Figured out the various combinations of volume and null between the onboard speakers, external speakers and phones.
  • Hooked up my laptop and went through the first 30 or so lesson of dMedia Piano (emailed e-media about an error message on **their** built in recorder)
  • Plugged in and used a contact mike (the kind that attaches to the bell of an acoustic instrument, in this case my clarinet) and recorded a few snippets from my clarinet. I'm happy with the ease of recording. I am hopeful a regular mike sounds more full bodied than my contact mike. Actually I was surprised I got much of anything out of it - the device is used for a tuner.
  • Learned how to access and work my way around some voicing edit functions, in particular, voicing volume and accompaniment volume. Regarding the latter, too bad there is not an on-the-fly volume control for accompaniment or keyboard splits. (Is there?)
  • Experimented with several dozen voicings - its neat the way different songs come to mind with each different sound played on the keyboard. I referred to the instruction manual a number of times. I found it to be quite clear. An index and a listing of voicings, rhythm and accompaniment styles would be nice. But once I got the hang of the layout, I could find my way around. I am tempted to xerox the page where all controls are numbered in the manual and have it handy for reference for when I'm looking things up.
  • Of course I couldn't help but play Jamaica Farewell as soon as I heard the Kettle Drums - and I HAD to add the Calypso rhythms.:D Smile, mon.
Verdict so far. Very happy!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Reaction score
I'd seriously consider blowing another $50 or $75 and getting a proper X stand for that rig.

http://www.amazon.com/On-Stage-KS8291XX-Double-Keyboard/dp/B0002F6JGW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364651543&sr=8-1&keywords=onstage keyboard stand

http://www.amazon.com/Stage-KS7350-Heavy-Folding-Keyboard/dp/B000LCRP14/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1364651543&sr=8-4&keywords=onstage keyboard stand

If your knee brushes against the release lever on that ironing board you are not only going to lose the keyboard but also the laptop you have so precariously perched atop the 7500.

Better safe than sorry,
Gary
Thanks. It is a temporary set-up. I have a double X stand on order. I did test the release on the Super Deluxe Mulit-Purpose Ironing Board/Keyboard Stand, and it takes A LOT of force to release that lever. In fact, I have to lift up the weight of the board off the legs to release the catch. So, not to worry. But it does rather remind me of the various photos we've seen of "redneck" campers, e.g. an outhouse on the back of a pickup truck. And the laptop is less precarious than it looks. It's my Redneck Mainframe.

The Y_man

Reaction score
There should have been a big A3 (or bigger) sheet that came with it with all the voicings, rhythms, etc on it. If you didn't receive it, you can download from the casio site.

I used an ironing board for a much heavier synth for ages :D In fact my new $20 X stand is much flimsier than the trusted irning unit.

Nice upright vacuum cleaner you have there....

The Y-man

The Y_man

Reaction score
Oh, did I mention the alleged music stand that comes with it can't be used for sheet music because it is too short and everything just flops over - but i see your laptop is there instead so all good.....:)

The Y-man

Reaction score
Oh, did I mention the alleged music stand that comes with it can't be used for sheet music because it is too short and everything just flops over - but i see your laptop is there instead so all good.....:)

The Y-man

Thanks, Y. Yes, in my haste in setting up the keyboard I overlooked the separate approx. 20" x 30" sheet containing a listing of all tone names, rhythm names, drum set names, music preset names, and arpeggiators. After reviewing this sheet I now understand why even many experienced players say they use only a small portion of the features.

And yes, the laptop is quite secure on the stand. While its mostly vertical weight is firmly supported, I do have it pressed slightly against the work bench behind it. And it is a relatively small/light laptop. The stands curved back gives it strength beyond its substance.

Reaction score
Welcome, and you have sound reasons for your choices so far. I'm retired as well, and spend my time either riding my motorcycles (usually shooting video) or composing/programming/recording music using Anvil Studio and MultiTrack Studio (both began as free downloads) and my three keyboards and two sound modules. Really is enjoyable!

Best of luck! ;)
Thanks, Ron. When you say "both BEGAN as free downloads", that implies they ended up as something else. I see that Anvil comes with some nice practice options for $20. Have you used those and how useful were they for you?

I downloaded the 30-day trial versions of Sibelius (not for me), Notation Composer (can scan sheet music to midi - don't know how well or how easily) and Notation Musician. I have to look into Anvil some more.

Ask a Question