Importing Libraries From Roland Axial to DS88

HKC

Reaction score
Hi there
The headline kinda says it all. Hopefully I have just missed it but I can't find any mentioning of how to import new libraries into the DS88.

In case you know this you may also know if any of the piano libraries are better than the ones included are. There one called Concert Piano and one called Complete Pianos.

All the best
Henrik Krogh

HKC

Reaction score
Do you know if it's possible to keep a few of the patches from a library in the user presets and then load another one or are the waveforms overwritten by the new library

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I really couldn't tell you as I don't use my Juno DS hooked up to a computer.

It may be possible to edit the libraries with the editor software but I've never used it.

At least I think there's an editor for it. Not even sure about that.

Sorry I can't be more help on this.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I just checked Roland's Downloads for the DS. They do have a Patch Librarian available so it may be able to mix and match patches with a little work.

Gary ;)

HKC

Reaction score
I will give it a try. I need to get a very small (in physical size) memory stick first. I just started using the machine today so I am just trying to find the most clever way to set it up.
I have done this on many machines over the years but this one can do quite a bit of really cool stuff in spite of being fairly cheap so I want to make the most of it.

Henrik

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, the first thing you should do once you get your memory stick is to backup the Roland Juno OS just in case it ever gets reset beyond all recognition.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, first reformat the stick to FAT32 with a partition editor to get rid of the hidden crapware partition on the Sandisk Cruzer, THEN format it again in the Juno before you try to use it.

This should eliminate any compatibility issues before you start out.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Do you know if it's possible to keep a few of the patches from a library in the user presets and then load another one or are the waveforms overwritten by the new library
i have owned my ds88 for around 6 months now and i love it to bits rearly good keyboard to go with my kronos 2 . i believe that when you load in the axial patches they are loaded into the empty [as on factory new status] blank/int patches, which theorefore you wont be able to use those original empty/blank patch spaces for any other/self created patches that you would want to keep clear spacee for such. personaly because i need so many blank patches for my own creations and as the axial are rearly extrenuas for me, ie not hugely diferant to the original factory stock presets, i never ever load up the unrequired/unneeded axial patches, of course if your not a very prolific /programmer then fine go ahead and load in the axial. note there is only enough free patch space for a maximum of 2 axial patch banks, [ i believe of either 64 or 128 patches -- mmm need to check wich in manuel ! ? ] even though, i believe there are actuarly 10 axial banks to choose from. and to answere your question, as there are 2 banks of usere memory it should be possable to load in one axial bank into one blank bank and still keep your own programed patches in the second spare bank. importantly with all this loading the axial banks will NOT over write the factory rom presets only the empty ram patch locations of which there are two banks of.ie if you have some favarite user patches that you have made you self i believe you can then resave into the 2nd free user bank if not there allready, as when loading in a single axial bank will at first [ autamaticly ? ] will i believe load the axial bank into the first free user bank. please note ive not researched regarding the sample sound waveform weather it overwrites any internal pcm memory or not ? ill repost once ive looked into it. ok hope thats of some use

Last edited:

HKC

Reaction score
Hi
You are referring to the 5080 libraries I think. I am more interested in the EXP packs which I would love to mix. However I am becoming quite sure that it is not possible.
It is possible though to save the EXP preset into the user section and find native waveforms that sound similar to the EXP ones and get very good results.
Thanks for the reply

Reaction score
mmmmmmm not sure if on same wavelenth, i was trying to exsplain the ins/outs of loading the roland axial patch libraries into the ds, as your original question/problem seemed to be asking ? not sure what you mean by"EXP" / "5080" greatly appreciate if you could ilucidate me on your meaning ? ok cheers

HKC

Reaction score
The difference is that the 5080 banks (A, B. C etc) are just regular presets based on edits of the internal waveforms while the other ones (Keys Collection, Orchestral etc) include other waveforms and after installing them they go into the EXP section of the Juno DS, not the user section.
The first ones you can mix since they are just regular presets while you can only load one bank of the latter ones at the time. A shame really but of course the machine is very nice as it is.
My original question was aimed at the latter ones.

Reaction score
Yeah, the exp sample memory is a dedicated space. How you organize your user banks (which merely refer to samples) is completely different.

To me the samples in the exp libraries are the bread and butter of their sound. So using patches created with one set of samples, then replacing them with another set sounds like way more work then just taking the few minutes to reload the exp library. If this was a live performance consideration, I would either just pick the exp that covers the most or buy a second board.

Kudos to you if you have looked at it in such detail that you are substiting samples and getting good results.

Personally, I would have gone the path of parsing the exp library files to figure out how it stores samples and replaced them at that level.

HKC

Reaction score
I would have done that if I could find a way to split the samples from the presets in the EXP libraries but I can't. Nor can I find a single hint of anybody else who has done this so I expect that it's not possible.

The EXP libraries are quite small (33.6 MB) so it's a shame that those 336 MBs isn't possible to include at once.

Anyway, the machine is very nice straight out of the box and it's not that much of a deal. I will be using it solely for live gigs basically programming it to sound like whatever was made in the studio. I have used a 2080 until now and I am happy with that except that it's getting really old and "better safe than sorry" :)

HKC

Ask a Question