In search for the "right" 61 key controller

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am in search of the right 61 key MIDI keyboard controller. So, first, here is what I am looking to do, and what I have done.

Like many of us, I am looking to write and produce more music at home and use social outlets to showcase my music. And as background, I play bass in a female fronted pop band, have played lead guitar for a well-established cover band, and started playing live by playing piano for a church youth group.

I am quite familiar with Reaper (Win 10) and use Garageband on a new iPad Pro to sketch ideas. I use various synths including Massive, Nave and Serum among others. Sometimes I will use the synths as a stand alone, sometimes as a VST (or AU in GB), sometimes recording, sometimes in a live performance. I am, however, re-visiting Ableton Live. After spending some time sketching on GB, I am looking at Ableton in a different light. In short, sample/loop productivity like GB, but full DAW recording (and more) like Reaper. With this in mind, I am searching for the “right” 61 key MIDI controller.

As of now, I have been looking at four 61 key controllers. In no particular order they are:

• Novation 61SL MkIII 61-key
  • Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61
  • Arturia KeyLab mkII 61 61-key
  • Akai Professional MPK261

I realize that there are many variables I have yet to figure out. For instance, how well I really bond with Ableton, which product paradigm, like NI vs Arturia I want to buy into. One thing that is important is speed, as in getting ideas recorded or sketched quickly.

So, any and all thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Everyone stay safe,

Thanks,

Rev. C

Reaction score
Welcome.

You have narrowed it down to four very good choices.

I have tried all four and without doubt the one with the best build quality and keybed feel is the NI S61, but it does not have sliders and its integration with non NI products can be flaky.

Again for keyboard feel the Novation would be last of the four for me.

Arturia or Akai is a difficult choice, I did have an Essential 49 but sold it intending to get a Keylab mk 2 but so far have resisted as I can do what I want to do using my DP.

I have no experience of Akai other than trying a couple in store, they feel good and seem well made

Good luck deciding.

Reaction score
@Biggles

Thanks for the reply. Your comments regarding the NI keyboard being flaky with non NI software is very useful. I like using synths from a variety of vendors like Nave and Serum as well as Massive from NI. I also sketch on an iPad so core compliant USB MIDI is very helpful and the Arturia KeyLab mkII is core compliant. Not sure about the NI. It is more difficult to choose which software like NI or Arturia than it is which physical keyboard.

Anyways, Cheers and Stay Safe,

Rev. C

Reaction score
Your opening post indicates that you are looking for the right controller but you make no mention as to what features you want that controller to have that makes it the right controller. You then indicate you narrowed down the list to these four:
  • Novation 61SL MkIII 61-key
  • Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61
  • Arturia KeyLab mkII 61 61-key
  • Akai Professional MPK261
Based on what attributes? What criteria did you use to determine these 4 keyboards make a great controller for you? Weight? keybed response? # of dials/buttons that can send CC messages? Sliders to use as controllers similar to Hammond drawbars? MIDI ports? USB ports?

You make no mention of features that the controller needs to have other than it needs to have 61 keys. Add your controller "requirements" so that we can be more assistance to you.

Ask a Question