Increase Sound Of Recording

Reaction score
Hello. I recorded my Yamaha P125 on audacity directly via a USB cable. However, after exporting the file when I listen to it on phone
the volume seems to be pretty low. How can I increase its volume without loosing sound quality?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Normalizing a digital signal CANNOT recreate what timbres were in the original sound. At best, normalization will simply attempt to "guess" and fill in the softer notes which occur between peaks.

If you really want to get a top quality recording out of your keyboard you need to adjust levels with some kind of hardware mixer connected to the line outs and ignore the crappy built in USB soundcard.

It's all D/A and A/D conversion anyway, but the idea is to preserve the nuances and pianissimo notes that may or may not make the piece sing.

The only way I know how to do it is by listening to what's coming out of my monitors and massaging the audio chain into the computer's soundcard.

Actually, if you have a complaint about the USB audio built into your Yamaha you should return it under warranty and have them fix it properly for you.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, a proper recording level on a VU meter should be about 1/4 below clipping and the needle should only go red on major peaks or beats.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
For that matter, the problem may be with the audio levels on your phone.

Have you listened to the file on a proper computer with decent monitors?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Some ideas:

1. Make sure your keyboard’s volume is sufficiently high when recording.

2. You can add gain to the signal by using an audio interface or a mixer between your KB and the computer.

3. Within Audacity itself are several options for amplifying the recorded signal. Biggles mentioned one, but there are others.

Reaction score
Hello. I recorded my Yamaha P125 on audacity directly via a USB cable. However, after exporting the file when I listen to it on phone
the volume seems to be pretty low. How can I increase its volume without loosing sound quality?
Thank you all for the suggestions. Will any audio interface work or ill have to buy a good one.? Also, someone told me
that an audio interface wont improve your sound quality much if you are already recording the sound directly in your pc via a USB cable. Is that true?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'd suggest a small mixer with a USB interface instead of a Scarlett Foucusright or any of those others.

I'd suggest a small Behringer 5 or 8 channel for your needs and to accommodate future expansion as well.

One of these should serve you quite nicely and give you full control over FX, EQ, and all the other nasty stuff that recording engineers have to deal with ;)

Gary ;)

Ask a Question