input?

Reaction score
hey all,

sorry for all the posts.. I'm trying to figure out the best approach here. Basically, I'm getting back into keyboards after a long break. Used to have a Korg M1 and loved it. I recently planned to try a midi controller so I could have a nice weighted 88 key controller and use ipad/iOS DAW... nice in theory but my 2014 ipad isn't up to the task. So, when I thought about the cost of the controller plus a new ipad or laptop, I decided to go back to drawing board and perhaps spend more upfront on the keyboard.

I've been playing around with the yamaha MX 88 at local music shop.. love the feel and sounds. BUT.. doesn't have a sequencer. Then I played around with the Yamaha MODX--- I think it has a sequencer though they call it something else and it wasn't all that intuitive.

Was just researching online and I saw the Roland Juno 88 weighted key.. has sequencer.. expandable sounds..

I'm just looking for some advice: I'd like a weighted 88 keyboard with good sounds and a sequencer. I don't need all the fancy arpeggio stuff-- I don't want the automatic drum function that the MX 88 has. I want to make all my own stuff but hopefully without having to use a laptop/iPad. Any input here?

Thanks

brad

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Juno DS 88 Does have a sequencer but it is not a full track song sequencer. Instead it is a step sequencer that allows you to sequence performance loops and accompaniment tracks for stage use.

However, by shifting the voice generation to the keyboard and not using VSTs your ipad will perform OK as a MIDI song sequencer since MIDI data is much more compact and less CPU intensive.

Even a ten year old PC can handle multitrack MIDI recording of up to 16 tracks.

If you're looking for keyboards don't rule out anything without a sequencer.

Just use any computer for MIDI sequencing and forget about VSTis.

Let the keyboard handle the voicing and any computer can handle the MIDI.

BTW, I own a Juno DS88 and I'm very happy with mine.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
yeah.. I guess I wanted to stay away from having to use a computer. good to know about that sequencer.. thanks. I absolutely love the sounds of the Yama MX88 in the store. They don't have Roland or Korg there so maybe a trip to guitar center is in order..

thanks for help

Reaction score
You mentioned the MODX in a post well I just played one in my local store and also played a Juno DS and a Kronos, obviously the Kronos was twice the keyboard the others are but I did find that the Juno was substantially better than the DX to my ears couple with the Juno menu system being far far better for navigating than the Yamaha (or any Yamaha that I have played for that matter).

Good luck

Ask a Question