interested in recommendation for a sound module

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm a bassist and a group I'm performing with does a few Rush songs. I've got the piano chops to pull them off, I just don't have the gear yet. What I do have is a Roland PK-5 pedal, a MicroKORG and a cheap Yamaha I plan to use as a MIDI controller only.

What I'm looking for is a synth module that I can use with the "taurus" pedals and the controller to get a close approximation of those classic Moog and Oberheim sounds. I know they won't be exact, and they don't need to be, they just need to be in the ballpark. I'd prefer the module to be rack mountable since I have 1 space free in my bass rig.

I was thinking a SC-88 Pro, only because I've used them before and I think I can find an adapter to rack mount it.

Your suggestions and advice are appreciated - thank you!

Reaction score
An SC88Pro won't sound anything like a Moog or an Oberheim. It's a bread and butter synth, not a VA. Personally the only 1unit rack I know of that can come even close is the FreeBass FB383 but it's basically a 303 clone, as opposed to Moog / Oberheim.
If you want to recreate that particular sound I'd suggest something like a Clavia Nord Modular, a Waldorf Pulse an Access Virus or similar. Forget the SC88 it's designed to do General Midi naffness, not analogue emulation awesomeness.

Reaction score
You could "try" the really cheap n cheerful Akai SG01V which "might" get you in the ballpark, but it won't compare to the true VA synths.

Reaction score
thanks for the recommendations. I really like the sounds of the Akai, so I guess it's time to do some searching!

Reaction score
would something like Propellerheads "Reason" be able to do the same thing? finding the older rack mount units is pretty tough . . . maybe I could do it on a laptop with software?

Reaction score
Yup, it's what Reason was built for. However something to consider is that Reason is self contained, you get what they give you and that's it. (They have introduced rack extensions but I believe they are effects units, not synths).

Why not pick up Reaper (very cheap DAW) then grab some freebie VSTi's. There's a lot around, I've recently grabbed Cubase which comes with "Prologue" which can emulate a lot of old analogue gear. I've also grabbed Ultraswamp, Phutura, Crystal, TAL UNO, all of which are free VSTi's that can emulate A LOT of analogue gear.

If you want a mega bargain, grab Reaper which is about $60 I think, then buy this http://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=1270 IK Multimedia are flogging their SampleMoog soft synth for $29.99 which is a saving of 85% and this will definitely do what you're after as it's exactly what it was built for.

Ask a Question