Internal battery

RSJ

Reaction score
I have a old Korg I5s. for awhile now it's says when you turn it on that the internal battery is low.

So, I stripped it down (I've had it to bits a couple of times in the past, for cleaning etc)
so I knew where the battery was. turns out though that it was electronic "zapped" soldered on.
I thought it was either pushed in, or soldered on at first.

At the minute I've left the new battery off.
I did try to solder it on. but I was a bit worry about heat transfer to the board

Its like a bit of metal that's connected to the board.

Does anyone know how this is normally done?
Should I just heat it with a soldering iron until it does solder on. or do I need to buy something else?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'd suggest snipping the leads that are currently soldered on, desoldering the wire stubs and replacing the wires with a proper battery holder/socket even if you have to attach it with wires.

Overheating the battery could cause it to explode, that's why I say snip the connectors first before desoldering.

Gary

PS I assumed you know how to use and own a proper desoldering tool.

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express...d=1383788506&sr=8-1&keywords=desoldering+pump

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, if it's surface mounted or something really wonky posting a pic might help.

Gary

RSJ

Reaction score
Yeah I might need to upload a photo to show what I mean.
I don't have it stripped down at the minute, but here is sort of what I mean

m8tx.jpg

The battery was connected to the holder. but the holder itself is the live point of the battery side. and the negative side is from where the battery touches the circuit board.

My plan was to melt a bit of solder to the battery, then slide it in. then heat the battery holder/connector up with the soldering iron.
But due to the time it needs to heat up. I'm worried it will transfer heat to the rest of the electronic components.

The way Korg did it was they used electric rather than heat. to fuse the battery to the metal, i.e. the battery holder.

Unless. I desolder the battery holder/connector from the circuit board. then at least I won't be worried about heat transfer

Fun and games;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd do a permanent fix if I were you. Desolder the battery holder and chuck it along with the battery. Then get a proper battery holder for the same or compatible battery and connect it to the board with some 16 guage hookup wire and the problem is solved forever. Wrap it up in some black electrical tape if it's loose and in danger of shorting out the circuit.

Heat transfer to the board is not the problem here. It's the possibility of exploding the battery by applying heat directly to the battery surface.

At least thats how I'd approach the problem. In this case clipping on a heat sink wouldn't help at all with desoldering.

Gary

RSJ

Reaction score
Yeah, sounds like a plan. I'll see what I can find.

Thanks Gary, much appreciated:cool:

Ask a Question