Intro

Reaction score
Hello - I purchased my first keyboard in 30 years about a year ago. I am a Newbie to these pages. Looking forward to learning about equipment preferences and any other info I can suck up. Oh, I better get busy practicing soon. My equipment is not very sophisticated. I own a Casio 3200, a Korg Micro and a Nord Electro 2.:D

Reaction score
Hello there, and welcome to the forum! For how long have you been playing the keys?

<<Gratwhol>>

Reaction score
Thanks for the Welcome!

Gratwohl - I used to play guitar, trombone, bass and limited keyboards in the 60's till around 1976. I am a guitar player and any keyboarding I do is very limited. I quit playing all instruments in 76 and didn't pick the guitar back up until around 1999. I have slowly been getting back in to the guitar and decided I would try and get back my very basic skills with the keyboard. So a long way to answer, yes I am technically a beginner.

So I will primarily be a sponge and probably ask some dumb questions. Looking forward to the ride.

Mark

Reaction score
Gratwohl

Well the world of Keyboards is quite intricate. I started playing on an upright acoustic from the time I was four until I was 9. I do not want to give the impression that I was some kind of impressario, I was only a hack that could play by ear.

Now the keyboard world has:

It is a little daunting. I am pretty happy for now with the boards I have but at some point I will want to change my anchor board. Now I use (don't flame me) a Casio WK-3200, a Nord Electro 2 and occasionally a Micro Korg. Don't ask me how I got this mix, but it seems to work pretty good. I love the Nord. The Korg makes enough divergent sounds that I could never run through even if I wanted to. I know this board flames Casio's, but I have to tell you I have loved this board. It was my first in many years and I found it superior to the Yamaha in many ways. But hey...everyone has their own personal preference.

Reaction score
Well, you're probably awesome at the piano if you've played since you were 4 years old and still actively playing, I'd love to hear you play sometime :)

I'm a Yamaha fan myself, but that's probably because I've never bought anything else :p I can't really say that Casio are bad keyboards because I haven't really tried one properly yet, some dislike the brand, some think it's ok, and some hate/love it... as you said, to each his own.

<<Gratwhol>>

Reaction score
No I am not great. I was a guitar player that filled in with mostly organ (think Vox Jaguar) but they were simple parts to play. I quit playing all instruments in 1976 and I just picked up some keyboards a year or so again. I have not practiced like I should, but I have great intentions.:rolleyes:

The other thing I am trying to figure out is this whole digital recording world. But that is another topic.

Reaction score
No I am not great. I was a guitar player that filled in with mostly organ (think Vox Jaguar) but they were simple parts to play. I quit playing all instruments in 1976 and I just picked up some keyboards a year or so again. I have not practiced like I should, but I have great intentions.:rolleyes:

The other thing I am trying to figure out is this whole digital recording world. But that is another topic.

Yeah, I used to play various instruments too, like guitar & banjo. I also had a big gap in my music life. It sucks. Why did we give it up? No time, no room etc. A year ago I played a keybd in the store & was hooked. But yeah, that MIDI stuff is a little too much for me, first I need to actually learn to play!
good luck

Ask a Question