Introduction

Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Max Thompson from Minnesota. I have had a lifelong interest in music, and from an early age was able to learn music by ear. I now of course can read sheet music etc too, but I still learn by ear as well. I have been performing for only around 8 years professionally, but have been playing various instruments for around 14 years for others. I play piano, accordion, organ, "keyboards", and a bit of Native American Flute. I am starting to learn a bit of jazz guitar as well. Music genres I like include jazz, smooth jazz, polka/waltz, ragtime, Eastern European and Russian traditional music, contemporary Christian, hymns, disco/funk, and *some* modern pop/edm. I play other stuff too, but those are my primary genres.

I will add my gear list into my signature eventually, so that people experiencing issues with the same equipment know that there are people who might be able to help. Most of my performances are and have been solo. I do a fair amount of church band stuff, and have sat in with a few groups in the past. I recently acquired a Western Cottage Organ Co. reed organ, so I will be working on spiffing it up and converting it back from electric to foot-pump.

I will be happy to do my best answer any questions about keyboard stuff etc. Also I have experience in the dog world so I can answer some questions about that too. Happy to be here!

P.S. The dog in my profile picture is my Icelandic Sheepdog. Her name is Perla. :)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi Max,
Nice intro!
Welcome aboard the KB forums.

I once owned an 'Old English Sheepdog'. He was such a giant but gentle, loving and adorable!
He stood up on his hind legs put his front paws on my shoulder and licked me in the face. lol

cheers
Ray

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Welcome, Max! From your chosen user name I take it that you own a Motif, and I look forward to seeing your list of other instruments. :)

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Max! (and Perla too, she's beautiful) :)

Reaction score
Welcome. I am from Portugal. First I played some times by hear, but I studied 2 years of music theory and so on. Then I officially could play on stage, as a pro, in a legal sense, becaude we needed to have a document on that years, for to play in public. I played on dancing events, electric guitar, for 8 years, on the 80's. Them, now I play keyboards at home and Youtube. I learned something about music production, and I make some experiments. Some of my works are made just using the mouse and a Daw full of free plugins as instruments. I even used my cell phone as a Midi controller. So, for me is most important to learn, than the gear we have, or use. BUT..... There is nothing so good as the sensation of playing with the fingers, creating the natural expression of the sounds. That's why I use some keyboards. At this moment I have a Korg EK-50 and a Juno Gi. Now, I want to have a instrument for the creation of styles and performances, but at same time good for playing alive. That's why I intend to buy on August a Casio CT X5000. This is how I came to this for this Forum, trying to learn with other, who have more experience. I live in the country, 5 kilometers far from the nearest cofee expresso bar, but that's ok.
I became follower.

Ask a Question