Is Cakewalk/SONAR defunct ...or what???

Reaction score
Does anyone know what's going on with the Cakewalk site these days? When I tried to download instrument definition files for my Alesis NanoSynth and SR18 the site required me to log-in. After searching thru years old emails for my CW username I, of course couldn't remember the password. I went thru the steps to "Reset Password" and they SUPPOSEDLY sent a link to my email address. Problem is, I can't find it. I checked/tested my email settings to make sure everything is working and that their messages are not blocked or going to Spam. Still no luck.

Is there another site I can download the ID's from?

This is frustrating. I remember emailing them on another issue 3 years ago and it took them a Full 5 months to reply!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Cakewalk went under two years ago and got bought by Bandlab.

Sonar is now Freeware available for download by registering with Bandlab and downloading their installer.

Likewise the discussion forum has been moved to Bandlab's own site while the legacy forum has been maintained as read only for the sake of historical value.

You shoulda checked in a little more often :D

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, is there an INS file for the Alesis SR18? Personally I've been using the one created by Cakewalk years ago for the SR16.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Do you know approximately which version of SONAR the Bandlab freeware is?

The software is constantly updated and maintained by Bandlab.

It is by no means a dead program.

The Bandlab installer also maintains regular updates.

For all intents and purposes your Sonar 7 is now obsolete.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I wonder how backwards compatible it is with my OLD gear with MIDI DIN plugs & all. Well since it's free I guess I'll DL it and find out.

I'm one who must be dragged kicking & screaming into the future.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It's compatible with any MIDI hardware as long as you have an INS file for it and the format of the INS file has not changed since I bought Cakewalk Home Studio back in 1997.

The interface may be a little unfamiliar but there are tutorials on Youtube that will guide you over the obstacles.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question