Is high-end weighted keys midi keyboards action and feel close to a good action DP?

Reaction score
Good day to all. This is my first post.

I'm a classical trained pianist. I have an acoustic piano and a digital Piano (Kawai ES920, 88 keys).
I use my acoustic in the day and my DP is for night use and occasionally connect to my Mac and use with GarageBand for some recordings.

I am thinking of getting a midi keyboard to be interesting to produce music.

I’m in a dilemma if i shall let go my DP and replace it with a high quality midi keyboard. I do have extra space in my room but as much as I could, I do not wish to occupy more space.

Is high-end midi keyboard’s action and feel close to a good action DP / acoustic piano?
If the forum allow to share brands/ models to have great actions, kindly share with me.

Thanks and looking forward for replies.

Reaction score
As you are probably well aware Keybed action is very personal and very, very varied.

A specific DP action will be hated by some, loved by some and appraised by others everywhere in between.

First thought is add another Kawai to your setup an ES110 will be at a price point at or below a top quality MIDI only then there is the more upmarket MP7.

MIDI only & a Native Instrument S 88 is the best one I have tried but these is also a Doepfer LMK4+ that gets rave reviews.

Finally checkout reviews of a Studiologic SL 88 Grand

Reaction score
As you are probably well aware Keybed action is very personal and very, very varied.

A specific DP action will be hated by some, loved by some and appraised by others everywhere in between.

First thought is add another Kawai to your setup an ES110 will be at a price point at or below a top quality MIDI only then there is the more upmarket MP7.

MIDI only & a Native Instrument S 88 is the best one I have tried but these is also a Doepfer LMK4+ that gets rave reviews.

Finally checkout reviews of a Studiologic SL 88 Grand
Thank you so much. ^^

Reaction score
I have an acoustic piano and a digital Piano (Kawai ES920, 88 keys)...Is high-end midi keyboard’s action and feel close to a good action DP / acoustic piano?
Kawai VPC1 has, I believe, a higher end Kawai action than what's in the ES920. Though as Biggles alluded to, whether or not you prefer it is something only you can know.

Reaction score
Kawai VPC1 has, I believe, a higher end Kawai action than what's in the ES920. Though as Biggles alluded to, whether or not you prefer it is something only you can know.
Thank you.
Love all suggestions so far and I'd done some research.

Kawai VPC1 seem to have one of the greatest action and probably the known downside is lack of control; and it's too large for me.

As of now, am towards Arturia Keylab 88 mk2 (IMO more complete control) and NI S88 mk2 (lack of drum pads but have 2x useful screen). I may not need drum pads, but who knows in future.

The more I research, the more things get complicated as in...they do have their native DAW. Too early to tell, but I may also learn Logic Pro too. (yet to purchase)

Just to be sure, with those above mentioned midi keyboard, can sound could come out from my iMac or I need to have monitor speaker (which eventually should be ideal)?

P.S: Apologies if i used some wrong terminology. I do understand that control is nothing if I don't know how to use them (yet), but soon I will as Im willing to learn. Certainly getting a great midi keyboard and keep my DP till I am sure the key-actions are reasonably great.

Thanks both for sharing. Anyone could sharing more would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Reaction score
As of now, am towards Arturia Keylab 88 mk2 (IMO more complete control) and NI S88 mk2 (lack of drum pads but have 2x useful screen).
I'm not sure how useful that dual screen is other than when using with Kontakt. If you're not intending to be Kontakt focussed, this may be of questionable value.

Just to be sure, with those above mentioned midi keyboard, can sound could come out from my iMac or I need to have monitor speaker (which eventually should be ideal)?
Sound can come out of the Mac, or headphones attached to the Mac, or speakers that you attach to your Mac. A Mac's built-in speakers are unlikely to give you a satisying experience, though.

Since you already own the ES920, start by using that. There's no advantage to switching to a controller until/unless you need some feature the ES920 lacks. Even then, if you simply wished it had pads, or sliders, whatever, you can also just add something like a Korg NanoKontrol or Korg NanoPad.

Reaction score
I'm not sure how useful that dual screen is other than when using with Kontakt. If you're not intending to be Kontakt focussed, this may be of questionable value.

Sound can come out of the Mac, or headphones attached to the Mac, or speakers that you attach to your Mac. A Mac's built-in speakers are unlikely to give you a satisying experience, though.

Since you already own the ES920, start by using that. There's no advantage to switching to a controller until/unless you need some feature the ES920 lacks. Even then, if you simply wished it had pads, or sliders, whatever, you can also just add something like a Korg NanoKontrol or Korg NanoPad.
Didn't know I can attach midi gears to my DP. Thanks for sharing helpful tips.

Reaction score
you can also just add something like a Korg NanoKontrol or Korg NanoPad.
Didn't know I can attach midi gears to my DP. Thanks for sharing helpful tips.
You'd actually attach those pieces to the computer (not the DP). You could sit them on the DP, but the DP and those controllers would all connect to the USB ports (or hub) on your computer.

Reaction score
Good day to all. This is my first post.

I'm a classical trained pianist. I have an acoustic piano and a digital Piano (Kawai ES920, 88 keys).
I use my acoustic in the day and my DP is for night use and occasionally connect to my Mac and use with GarageBand for some recordings.

I am thinking of getting a midi keyboard to be interesting to produce music.

I’m in a dilemma if i shall let go my DP and replace it with a high quality midi keyboard. I do have extra space in my room but as much as I could, I do not wish to occupy more space.

Is high-end midi keyboard’s action and feel close to a good action DP / acoustic piano?
If the forum allow to share brands/ models to have great actions, kindly share with me.

Thanks and looking forward for replies.
Depending on your budget of course, I have been enjoying the keyboard of a Nord Stage 3. The Nord Grand has a keyboard which is even more like a traditional acoustic piano but the Stage works well for me. It does also depend on the "weight" of keyboard action that you are comfortable with. You can potentially pick up older models on the market. The other nice thing about Nord keyboards is the available piano samples - and other samples - that are available for download from Nord. The quality of them is outstanding.

Ask a Question