Is it actually possible to play what I play on the guitar and play the same piece on the keyboard?

Reaction score
Well, I was just wondering if it really is possible. ^^, like I said, I do play the guitar. So I'm wondering if it is possibe to play the same piece that was made for the guitar on the keyboard?

Reaction score
As far as I know only with classical pieces for guitar. But when you play the usual way, I mean striking cords, then not. But there is a possibility on Roland keyboards like G-70 or E-50, E-60 and E-80 that have a special guitar mode, that means with your left hand you strike as normal the cords and with your right hand you have the six guitar strings and the possibility to play riffs and strumms with being in accordance to the left hand cords. This sounds very realistic. You also can choose different guitars and even give them special effects:
http://www.rolandkeyboardclub.com/v/Guitar Mode Library.php

Reaction score
The only thing that doesn't work very well is the fact that the guitar can repeat the same note very fast, whereas that is an extremely difficult task on the piano....

Reaction score
Short answer is no, but then I often try to do just that. I once bought a Hohner Clavinet (a keyboard with actual strings and a pickup) because it could feed back and sustain much like a guitar. I once had this argument with a good guitar player and lost. Even though I have big mitts with pretty good span, it wasn't possible to reproduce every big chord with only two hands. It was also clear that some classical multi-part pieces that could be played on a guitar required rearrangement for piano. Some JSB music for the lute can be played as is on an organ with 20+ (polyphonic) foot-pedals . If you watch some examples of two-handed tack playing by Jennifer Batten, you have to admit defeat based on range alone; she can also do things using natural harmonics that are improbable on a keyboard. I have yet to find a convincing way to do bends without limiting myself to one-handed playing and even then it's not possible to duplicate the effect of bending some strings more than others. Recently, I tried hard to replicate 'Bad to the Bone' as played on a G-tuned guitar using a slide (e.g. George Thorogood) - not so easy (to cheat: set up the 'harmony' function to a chord and play with one finger).

Reaction score
Well, I was just wondering if it really is possible. ^^, like I said, I do play the guitar. So I'm wondering if it is possibe to play the same piece that was made for the guitar on the keyboard?

The short answer really is YES and NO! It depends on what you want to mimic on the keyboard to make the same sound or song/ tune. The latest TOTL keyboards like the Yamaha Genos and Korg PA4X can do so much more an just have sampled sounds of another instrument; they also have the accent sounds like fret noise, clicks also tapping of the acoustic body noises.
Any keyboard player worth his salt will try to mimic another instrument as best as possible, not just play the notes of the song. Whether it is a synth or an arranger , recording or live, a very good player tries to embellish the music with everything to entertain ; and sometime try to fool/ or cover the fact that they are using a keyboard instead of an original instrument. But it does take time and practise , but purist will always so no, where realist may say close enough is good enough.

It's up to you to try but find an appropriate piece that translates well.

Reaction score
As a guitarist myself then I am in the Yes and No camp.

It totally depends upon the song.

There are inbuilt effects that can be combined to make a sound but even then that is limited to a few effects where as you will be aware with sheer number of effects available to a guitarist via their pedal board is one that will be difficult to replicate on a keyboard.

Slides, mutes, hammer on and pull off, no chance. Multiple string bends is one area a keyboard is totally lacking, eg bend a tone on one string and 1/2 a tone on another, no way.

Remember the tone of a single note is totally dependent upon where the string is picked, this cannot be replicated on keys.

Listen to Mark Knopfler play Local Hero then listen to a keyboard version, the keyboard will sound OK but no way anywhere near as good as Knopfler.

Yet many songs can make the transition, so give them a try, but do your own version.

Reaction score
As a guitarist myself then I am in the Yes and No camp.

Slides, mutes, hammer on and pull off, no chance. Multiple string bends is one area a keyboard is totally lacking, eg bend a tone on one string and 1/2 a tone on another, no way.

Remember the tone of a single note is totally dependent upon where the string is picked, this cannot be replicated on keys.

Exactly. Guitars and good players have a lot of personality. I played a fretless 5 string electric bass as I realized that low frequencies (my bottom was C open ~= 33 Hz ... open bass strings are rarely in tune) are distinguishable to the human ear even even though off the well-tempered scale and even sounded better when slightly off: ear tuned concert grands often demonstrate this. I also added a guitar bridge pickup to obtain a more harmonically rich tone more like an acoustic bass; fiddling with pickups, pickup arrangements, string weight etc seems to be a favorite thing to do among serious guitar players; some will claim that one bridge is better than another, that a bone nut is better than delrin (or whatever else), will sand and/or polish frets add infinitum, that some tuners are better than others (my daughter recently bought a good used guitar where the custom mods amounted to about $900 in new hardware). Many good guitar players, acoustic and electric, use the fact that certain fret positions provide strong natural harmonic vibrations while common lore is that certain neck-body couplings are preferable due to better coupling of fret-to-nut vibration into the body. In my experience, leads often stand close to the speakers, not because they're half deaf (although that may be true) but to control/vary the coupling of sound to guitar resonance; acoustic players do similar things to vary the resonance of their guitar body. I have yet to see these many foibles accurately reproduced in a keyboard. Perhaps, someone can prove us wrong by putting up an accurate keyboard version of 'Cause We've Ended as Lovers' by Jeff Beck.

Reaction score
Exactly. Guitars and good players have a lot of personality. I played a fretless 5 string electric bass as I realized that low frequencies (my bottom was C open ~= 33 Hz ... open bass strings are rarely in tune) are distinguishable to the human ear even even though off the well-tempered scale and even sounded better when slightly off: ear tuned concert grands often demonstrate this. I also added a guitar bridge pickup to obtain a more harmonically rich tone more like an acoustic bass; fiddling with pickups, pickup arrangements, string weight etc seems to be a favorite thing to do among serious guitar players; some will claim that one bridge is better than another, that a bone nut is better than delrin (or whatever else), will sand and/or polish frets add infinitum, that some tuners are better than others (my daughter recently bought a good used guitar where the custom mods amounted to about $900 in new hardware). Many good guitar players, acoustic and electric, use the fact that certain fret positions provide strong natural harmonic vibrations while common lore is that certain neck-body couplings are preferable due to better coupling of fret-to-nut vibration into the body. In my experience, leads often stand close to the speakers, not because they're half deaf (although that may be true) but to control/vary the coupling of sound to guitar resonance; acoustic players do similar things to vary the resonance of their guitar body. I have yet to see these many foibles accurately reproduced in a keyboard. Perhaps, someone can prove us wrong by putting up an accurate keyboard version of 'Cause We've Ended as Lovers' by Jeff Beck.

I could not ( and did not ) put it better myself.

;)

Reaction score
Perhaps, someone can prove us wrong by putting up an accurate keyboard version of 'Cause We've Ended as Lovers' by Jeff Beck.

That's like saying if a guitarist could play Greig's piano concerto in A Minor and put an accurate version of it. Sorry, that is BS, why, because it is a special piece written by a guitarist for guitar and electric at that. Please get real with your requests and thoughts here.
No one has ever said that a keyboard will REPLACE another instrument or a guitar could REPLACE another instrument entirely even connected to a , say a GR55S.
But some can come very close, depending on the song or piece of music you play. Speciality pieces designed purely for an instrument, will only work perfectly on that instrument.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
If you want your keyboard to sound like a guitar then . . yes it is possible. Depending on the model, some keyboards sound authentic and real like. A True guitar sound.

If you want your keyboard to sound like santana or hendrix or clapton or a thousand other acclaimed guitarists then . . No!
No way any keyboard or skilled keyboardist can duplicate the sounds of the above mentioned guitarists and others. Reason mainly because keyboards are sets of independent keys (88 or 61 of them) whereas the guitar has only 6 strings. The guitarist can bend and blend the notes smoothly whereas the keboardist has to lift fingers to change the notes.

Just a thought (having never played guitar in my life) from my observations and letting my sense of hearing tell me.

Ray

Last edited:
Reaction score
A guitar is a guitar and a keyboard, no matter how many sounds, effects and variations it can produce is still a keyboard.

A while back we had

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=42&v=6jsHVRX4LgE

posted in another thread.

She did a reasonable job, especially wth the delay and reverb but the result is still mechanical and lacking in the bends, slides and nuances that Hank Marvin puts into the song.

As we keep saying the answer to the Op is and always will be Yes and No, in that it is totally dependent upon the song.

At best the Op can do to their performance of the guitar song is their own individual version.

Ask a Question