Is it still a good idea to buy a used Tyros 1?

Reaction score
Hi,

On eBay there are some used Tyros 1 (the original version). May I ask if it is still a good idea to buy if you can afford it?

I mean, how are the specs and sounds of Tyros 1 compared with newer keyboards?

Or, if you can buy it for £500, will it be still better than new keyboards which are sold for the same price?

Thank you.

Reaction score
The Tyros 1 came on the market in 2002 and was the 'Flagship' at the time. For sure it is still a heck of a keyboard BUT 10 years old!
Newer keyboards, meaning the higher mid- and toprange have newer (better?) hard and software, More special voices and styles, USB connections, harddrive direct Internet, recording, cd- and MP3 player etc etc.
Depending what you are looking for but if you are talking about newer keyboards in comparison, what keyboard(s) do you have in mind? For 500 Pounds you can hardly buy a new equivalent of the Tyros 1.
You can download all the manuals and compare them.

Reaction score
Hi Nam
I will add my thoughts as I did exactly that around 1 year ago
Before buying any used keyboard you need to bear in mind that something could go wrong and need repair at some stage whereas a new one will normally come with a guarantee for a period of time.
Some of the technology is now quite old I.e. it has a floppy disk etc
I considered this but for me what I got out of it was a keyboard that was quality all the way around. Ths styles and backings are for me superb. The latest Tyros 4 is a vast improvement but at a price. On the negative side I no longer really know what is on the market so there may be something out there that's unknown to me. A couple of things to bear in mind if you do go for one is to check that the USB is working because there was a fault on some of them. Also it does not come with any amplification and speakers because they were always purchased separately. Make sure also that you are happy with the stand because tyros stands seem to be very expensive.
I hope this helps you in some way. Host post if you need to know anything
Finally do I regret buying a Tyros 1 - not even for a second!!!
Barry

Ask a Question