Is MIDI what I need? Complete beginner

Reaction score
Hi,

I have no idea about MIDI or the alternatives, so treat me like an idiot, please. :)
What I want to do is to record myself playing on a keyboard and then edit that in some program. I want to record the notes I play and at what strength I play them and then to be able to see that on a program.....can be on musical scores or some other format...doesn't matter. So, I want to record the data of what I play, not just make an audio recording. I think that is what MIDI does but am I right? And is MIDI the only option? Where I live at the moment I cannot find any reasonably-priced MIDI keyboards. Thanks for any advice and let me know if I was not clear,

Colin

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Any $100 Casio or Yamaha with a USB port can accomplish what you are asking.

You are correct that it is MIDI data that needs to be recorded, but most low end modern keyboards have USB MIDI class compliant ports which allow hookups to a computer on which you can load sequencing software to record and play back your notes.

For all intents and purposes any USB MIDI interface transmits the same raw MIDI data to the computer that the original MIDI spec 5 pin connector does.

If you shop around on Ebay or Craigslist you could find an older Casio or Yamaha with either MIDI ports or USB ports or both for under $100.

Likewise something like this CTK3200 for $129 brand new can accomplish the same thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-CTK-3200-Sensitive-Personal-Keyboard/dp/B007T8HVLW

But wait! I haven't treated you like an idiot yet! Would you like to buy some beachfront property in Arizona? :D :D :D

J/K

Peace...

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks, so the usb ports can just do the same thing that MIDI ports used to do? I bought my last keyboard 20 years ago, so that is why I don't know. Can you recommend any programs for me to edit on? Free ones that is. Ideally on musical scores but no biggy. Thanks again, Colin

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Best bets for DAW sequencers include Anvil Studio (Freeware with expandable options) or Reaper (Free Trial that never expires).

Now howabout that Beachfront condo? Act NOW before they're all sold out!!! :D :D :D

Happy playing ;)

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, I'm still using a legit copy of Cakewalk Home Studio 9.01 I bought almost twenty years ago,

That's how compatible the MIDI standard is these days. It runs fine under Wine in Linux or in Windows 7 Compatibility mode and I'm still doing 99% of my sequencing with it today.

Or if you have $30 to blow pick up a copy of Cakewalk Music Creator 5 or 6 from Amazon and it will have everything you need to start recording at home :)

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
DAW stands for Digital Audio Workstation. It's just a buzzword for sequencing software these days.

When in doubt, google it my son :D

Gary

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I want to record the notes I play and at what strength I play them

The second part of that is called "velocity" in MIDI-- it determines how loud the note is played, but is called "velocity" because it's controlled by how fast you play the note (not how forcefully you hit the note). Thus, you'll want to get a keyboard that's "velocity sensitive," which the keyboard manufacturer may refer to by another term-- e.g., "touch sensitive" or "touch response."

Ask a Question