Is Novation Launchkey Mini mk3 Keyboard Controller Worth it?

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to this forum and MIDI controllers, so I wanted to ask for help here so I can better understand how to select the most appropriate MIDI controller or keyboard for myself.
Currently, I have a YAMAHA Portable Grand DGX-230 and I am looking into the Novation Launchkey Mini mk3 Keyboard Controller. My goal is to be able to easily input a variety of instrument effects (e.g. piano, drums, guitar) into a DAW, such as Ableton Live. Is there any benefit or disadvantages to using a MIDI controller over a keyboard? The keyboard that I have currently has a "voice" button that allows you to choose from a variety of different instruments. Do these different instruments input into DAWs like Ableton, or does Ableton have instruments that change what plays on your keyboard (without you changing the voice button)?
To sum up these questions into two main questions: Should I be looking into the variety of instruments available on the controller/keyboard, or will my DAW have instrument options that will connect to the MIDI device? Would it be a waste to get the Novation Launchkey Mini mk3 knowing I have the YAMAHA Portable Grand DGX-230?
And is it preferable to have drum pads along with keys to play different instruments? Thank you so much!
If there are any different MIDI keyboard/controller recommendations they would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time :))

Ask a Question