Is there a database\sheet of what songs use what voices out there?

Reaction score
Hi,

Way to early in my journey for it to be of any real use but the vid below (that also helped my choose my keyboard) got me wondering, is there a resource out there somewhere that says that "x" song used something like "y" voice on "z" keyboard?

Anyway, just curious but it'd be great if there was.

Reaction score
No, no database.

There are many sites out there where musicians transcribe songs into a variety of forms, that is the closest we have.

There are also many posts like, how do I create the sound of xxx by The Cars?

Youtube videos can also be found on creating specific sounds.

Reaction score
Aye, I guessed there'd not be a big repository out there, I hunted about on YouTube a bit and as with all plain text searches its really hit and miss, still if I wanted to emulate some synth from the 80s (that oddly doesn't sound much at all like what it was supposed to be) I'd be covered :)

Reaction score
It's like detective work.... following clues.

If the sound you are chasing is from a "big famous band", sometimes those bands have "fan sites" where you can pick up tips on the actual gear they used to record. This usually gets you in the right ballpark. e,g. They used a Prophet 5, or a Jupiter 8 etc.

Then track down demos/examples/user patches for that particular equipment or song. If its a famous song, you may get lucky and find an article or a youtube describing how to "make the sound".

Over time you will start to recognise some basic Food Groups like Saw/PWM Brass, PWM Strings etc, or distinguish between Raw Synth and added effects like Phaser, Twah, Delay etc.

Unfortunately there is rarely a "database" of sounds, with few exceptions. One such exception is Kit Rae's Pink Floyd website, which provides amazing insight into those sounds on a track by track basis. But this would not exist except for his personal dedication, and willingness to share the benefits of his own "detective" work.

Reaction score
Thanks both - really interesting stuff, I see what you mean about detective work and how it'll slot in place once the lingo is known (pretty much like my day job to be fair - once you know what to search for its usually just a few variations)

The first thing that jumped out at me when I looked at the Grateful Dead was, how many songs! I never realised.

Reaction score
Thanks both - really interesting stuff, I see what you mean about detective work and how it'll slot in place once the lingo is known (pretty much like my day job to be fair - once you know what to search for its usually just a few variations)

The first thing that jumped out at me when I looked at the Grateful Dead was, how many songs! I never realised.
There is no spoon feeding in the music world, the same could be said about anything in life these days.

The upshot is that all that detective work will make you a better musician, and is totally worth the time and effort.

I'll give you a heads up..... it is hard work.

Ask a Question