is there a keyboard technician on the forum?

Reaction score
I assume spraying a new psr sx 900 with lysol is not a good idea!
when i buy one, made in asia of course, how do i disinfect it?
can the main cover come off?
supposedly the virus leaves after a few days, but would you want to put your family's life at risk based on supposedly?!!
also, the dealer may send one that has been sitting in their showroom for months played by others.
staying 6ft away is for all, not just those feelling ill. because people can have and spead the virus without feeling ill.
BTW i read in a legitimate source that the vaccine may not work as well for old folks.
so waiting may not help!
thanks all

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The virus cannot survive more than 72 hours on metal and plastic surfaces.

Worry more about the packaging than the contents.

The virus can survive no more than 24 to 48 hours on paper and cardboard.

If you're really paranoid, just stick it in a closet or the garage for a week before you open it and wash your hands after putting it away.

Your loved ones will have nothing to worry about.

And NEVER use cleaning products on a keyboard. Finding out the hard way could result in non functional keys or erased lettering or worse.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
A keyboard tech is not going to be any help in giving you advice in disinfecting your new SX900.

How long the virus will remain potentially active apears to be still unknown and as there are many factors which affect the active period of any virus definitive guidance is not likely to be forthcoming.

A virus is not a living organism but in the case of Covid 19 what is known is that in addition to sterilization processes 70% plus alcohol solutions work to breakdown the protein shell of the virus as does old fashioned soap. None of these is of course suggested to be used on your keyboard.

My advice would be to leave it in its box for a week in the garage or shed or store room, if it has to go inside give the box a wrap of cling film before it is taken indoors.

After a week open it up outside whilst wearing protective gloves and facemask, remove the keyboard and contents, pack up the box and store it in the garage. Remove gloves, bin them, wash hands with soap and water for 30 seconds.

Take keyboard into home and play it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Col I'd like to know where you are getting your "information" from.

The survival rate of the virus is well documented by now regarding different surfaces.

The virus is a DNA molecule wrapped in a fatty coating.

The coating is known to dissolve after the periods I specified leaving the virus inert and harmless.

Please either get your facts straight or else refrain from spreading FUD and paranoia about this pandemic.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Col I'd like to know where you are getting your "information" from.

The survival rate of the virus is well documented by now regarding different surfaces.

The virus is a DNA molecule wrapped in a fatty coating.

The coating is known to dissolve after the periods I specified leaving the virus inert and harmless.

Please either get your facts straight or else refrain from spreading FUD and paranoia about this pandemic.

Gary ;)

Lab Studies have detected CV19 after 72 hours on some materials (source WHO website).

These are Lab Studies and hence not real world conditions where results could very well be different.

You seem adamant that definitive facts are known and so if you would care to offer more specific guidance on the subject then I for one would welcome your input.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
In respect of @anon125 's concern about contracting the virus through contact of the packaging and/or the keyboard itself, this would concern me also.
I think no one knows the survival rate of the virus and to if you rely on 72 hrs, 48 hrs and so forth thinking you are safe, then you are taking a gamble.

Little bugs maybe present hibernating between the keys lurking and waiting for an organism to attach to. A human hand for example. I would not rely on the 48 hour or 72 hour safe guard. It is hearsay and not proven.
I would use alcohol wipes on the keys with gloves before use.
Not saturated ones, just damp ones. I would wipe the entire keyboard with the wipes. A dry cloth afterwards if you wish. Actually I would do it a couple of times.
No harm can be done with the use of wipes.
Better safe than sorry.
Cheers
Ray

Reaction score
thanks everyone.
Litttle is really known about the virus.
Scientists now say the europe one is a morphed version that is worse.
heresay is not worth risking ones life for- just for a toy.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
All I can say is what they're blasting out on the Canadian Media every 20 minutes. These are the rules our citizens and our healthcare providers are following.

Then again from what I've gathered from international sources this pandemic is more a political contest than a global disaster.

International leaders are beside themselves saying, "their way is the right way," and nobody wants to be the loser with the highest death toll.

What I do know is that CBC News does a very credible job of broadcasting FACTS, not rumors and hyperbole and fear mongering.

My personal view on it is that the virus cannot survive outside a mucous membrane for SOME limited duration. Otherwise you'll never shop for groceries again!!!

I can live well enough with a few rules of thumb, whereas blind panic of the virus lurking around every corner is not my idea of living at all.

So I leave it to the original poster. Which one of our totally unqualified opinions do you accept as gospel? :D :D

(Delaware Dave: I TOTALLY get it. :D :D :D)

Gary ;)

Ask a Question