Isolating a Sub?

Reaction score
Not really sure where to post this as its more about studio sound than synths - but here goes.

So, Im in a small, upstairs, carpeted room. I have some A5Xs on a shelf (well a kitchen worktop on the top tier of a keyboard stand as my mcok desk) which have foam Iso pads. I have just replaced these with proper isolating stands.

Under the desk is a Yamaha 10" sub - which has a downwards firing port. Obviously its a little boom'y (small room, corner located, upstairs bouncy floor), though it is currently sitting on a slate chopping board (works surprisingly well) which reflects a lot of the sound from the port away from the floor.

However, I know have a pair of Iso pads I can use for the sub as well. The question. Do I raise the slate chopping board up onto the pads, so the sub sits on teh chopping board but the board is isolated on the pads - SO do I put the pad on top of the slate board - and the sub onto that.

The first method is the one I THINK will be best - as the sub and slate board will work together but be isolated from the floor (at lease a Little), but Im not really sure. The second way will isolate the sub completely from anything - but the port energy will bounce off the slate board which wont be isolated from the floor.

Thoughts on this anyone?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'd say try both arrangements and see which one sounds best, but I think pad under the slate will probably sound better.

If this is for recording purposes in such a tiny room you may be better off using headphones anyway.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
When I do a recording I find it more important to play it back on a typical home audio system to hear what the average listener is going to hear.

It doesn't matter if you have a couple Klipshorn Escalas and a 19 inch subwoofer in the studio if your typical listener is going to listen to it thru earbuds on his phone or a computer hooked up to 3 inch speakers :D

I try my best to get it right the first time, but I've had to go back a remix a few times once I heard my stuff on a laptop. :p

Gary ;)

Ask a Question