Issues with a Korg cx3

Reaction score
I have a pair of Korg CX3s. I am having the same issue with both boards. I am having pieces inside the board break off. The best way I can describe these pieces is that its a small metal cylinder incased in hard black plastic. It doesn't seem to be a capacitor. However despite these pieces broken off inside the keyboard both boards still work fine. Everything still operates as it should. I'm guessing its a mechanical issue as opposed to an electrical one. If anybody has ANY experience with this keyboard or any info on this subject I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

ps. Between both boards I had 6 of these pieces come broken off

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'd contact Korg USA directly if I were you to ask if it's a known issue and whether or not there is an outstanding recall.

Gary

Reaction score
I'd contact Korg USA directly if I were you to ask if it's a known issue and whether or not there is an outstanding recall.

Gary

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have tried to contact Korg but still have not herd from them. I was kinda hoping someone hear may have had a similar issue or might know something about it. Thanks again though

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Apparently Korg stopped supporting the CX3 a decade ago.

A google on known issues brings up a few hits.

https://www.google.ca/search?num=10...10.0....0...1c.1.49.serp..8.5.695.IhU9pmt_mC4

Nothing as you described though.

I'd suggest posting on a few clonewheel forums with your problem and you might find someone who knows what those cylinders are.

Chunks dropping off a keyboard is NEVER a good sign though. :(

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, it would definitely help your case if you could post a few pics of the guts of the keyboard and the cylinders in question.

Gary

Reaction score
Here are the pieces in question, Again thanks for the reply.....

Attachments

• CX3 Parts.png
    CX3 Parts.png
    467.8 KB · Views: 569

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
IIRC clonewheels and tonewheels use spinning motorized disks with magnetic coupling to a sensor to create the tone. That's why I asked if they're magnetic. They could be magnets falling off the wheels themselves.

Also it would help if the pics were more detailed and you included a dime or a quarter to give an idea of scale.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I think those are magnetic sensor assemblies falling off of your tonewheels.

Have you noticed any missing notes on the keyboards?

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
They might only be magentized when in an active circuit. Basically solenoid coils and a sensor.

Reaction score
They might only be magentited when in an active circuit. Basically solenoid coils and a sensor.
Possibly, however there are no "wheels" inside the keyboard. It produces the sounds digitally. I was thinking it could be some type of sensor but like I have said before everything is working fine on both boards which is leading me to think its a mechanical issue rather than a electronic one

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
From what I can see in the exploded diagram on page 3 item 31 is a "lug board" which might extend for the full range of the keybed.

If that is indeed some sort of mounting lug from a strip of them then that might be what it's from.

The drawing is pretty bad and without being able to see the actual part I'm only guessing here.

Do the cylinders have any broken or fractured edges which might have broken off from where they were mounted?

If there is indeed one lug per key then don't be surprised if a few of your keys come loose or fall out if the keyboard is flipped upside down.

Gary

Reaction score
It does look like the plastic that is incasing the cylinders is broken but Im not having any issues with keys coming loose or falling out even when I turn the board upside down

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What about individual keys bottoming out when depressed? Do any of them sink further than the others?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
AHHHHHHHH! Me Headsmacks meself!!!!!

Are they weighted keys? Any chance they could be individual key weights that have dropped off of their keys?

Gary

Ask a Question